The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a trip to a few local hardware stores and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or information on the following sand:

Kolorscape White Play Sand: saw this at Home Depot and Walmart. Label says it is not for aquarium use, but I did some internet research and some people say that is because they sell a similar kind at the fish stores.

PaveStone High Desert Sand: at the Home Depot. Didn't say not for aquarium use but did say it may have traces of silicate.

Also, is there a definate answer on the silicate question? If it is safe or not?

·
Registered
517 Posts
in my experience, silicate is safe but a hassle to deal with. it clouds very easy, anytime the grains of sand rub against eachother, POOF, instant cloud. but otherwise it seems harmless. might promote diatoms though

as for the white play sand, if it's the very fine grade one, then i think it's safe. i've used it in multiple aquariums with no harm at all. though if you don't get a lot of circulation in the tank, anaerobic spots might develop.... stinky

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I'm thinking I will take the risk with the Kolorscape.

But I was really interested in the Pavestone High Desert Sand. Pavestone's website doesn't have any information but the package said it was safe for sandboxes and had several other uses.

This site is the best. Anyone else hear or use those brands?

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Swimming pool filter sand is the best to use in aquariums. That or 3M's colorquartz sand used in flooring and pool bottoms.

Both sands are coarser and won't cloud the water like the finer play sands available at hardware stores.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually went looking for a sand at a local hardware store that I used years ago. It was white, very fine but didn't change the water parameters. I went to the same store and they switched brands :( .

I've handled cloudy water before, so I'm not worried about that, only what is healthy for the future fish and plants.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You put white sand in the tank and you will most likely regret it very soon. It will show every piece of fish crap and assorted debris like you can't believe.

Silicate based sand is fine. It doesn't cloud the water. Nor does it contribute to diatom algae.

·
Registered
408 Posts
^Ugh, I totally agree with Rex. I loved my white sand for all of three days. And then it never looked the same. I DID get diatoms, so whether or not this was do to silicates is debatable, but at the same time, you just can't get all the fish poop off of it. From that day on, it's been dark substrate all the way.

·
Registered
517 Posts
hmmm.. i wish i was more precise with what i said.. i admit pool filter sand doesn't cloud water on its own, but if disturbed it will. i guess that's acceptable since aquasoil and eco and flourite and everything else will too. but my white play sand and black tahitian moon sand does not cloud and i guess i've grown to expect that from substrates :(

it's true, poo does stand out very bad on white sand.. and my turtles sure have a lot of poo, but just gives me another reason to play with the tank and the turtles :)

and thanks for the correction on diatoms. it was just something i read on another forum, but if rex says it won't then that's good enough for me

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I have Eco-Complete, Flourite, Flourite/sand, Onyx Sand and sand based tanks. And none of them cloud the water when disturbed.

At least not from the substrate. I do get mulm in the water which one would expect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
DO NOT GET SAND! unless you want to spend every day cleaning it!

Trust me i have made the mistake and am regreting it.... sure it looks nice for about a month then it will start going dark and no matter what u do it is very very hard to keep clean.

thats why i a week or 2 im getting flourite red and breaking the tank down and replacing the sand/plant substrate layers - got to catch all the brisslenose fry first!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a sample of the sand and tried the vinegar test. It did bubble so I assume it is not safe? I heard if it foams then it is not safe, but I assume foaming and bubbling is the same? Small bubbles came up from the sand once the vinegar hit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got "play sand" - not sure which brand in a low maintenance tank in my classroom. I was on a budget, so i rinsed it well and gave it a try. I like it. It looks nice, and although debris does collect on top, it's easy to vacuum right off the top without disturbing the sand too much. I'm a little worried about anaerobic conditions starting in places where there aren't rooted plants, so might get some malaysian trumpet snails. i've heard they are a good solution to that problem.

Also - the sand seems to be totally inert - no changes to tank parameters.

~Danielle

·
Registered
38 Posts
DO NOT GET SAND! unless you want to spend every day cleaning it!

Trust me i have made the mistake and am regreting it.... sure it looks nice for about a month then it will start going dark and no matter what u do it is very very hard to keep clean.

thats why i a week or 2 im getting flourite red and breaking the tank down and replacing the sand/plant substrate layers - got to catch all the brisslenose fry first!

Does sand really get that dirty? I was thinking of putting some in my 10gal project and I had been wondering how people keep their sand clean......Hmm maybe not such a good idea then?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.