The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initial hardscape, let me know what you think. Standard 10g, cheap hob filter, eco-complete sub, 2x zoomed 10w cfl bulbs, hydor 50w heater, Malayan drift wood and manzanita branches. Still needs black background

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
What's your goal?

First impression is that the wood is misplaced and poorly arranged. The driftwood may look better vertically placed slightly to the right of center. The manzinita can spread from both sides behind it.

It doesn't need a black background if you have a background stem plant.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My goal is a heavily planted naturalistic scape. The Malaysian is kind of awkwardly shaped but I will try rearranging it

·
Registered
802 Posts
I like both types of wood you have but am not sure they are working together very well. Tie it all together with some greenery and maybe it would coordinate better. Or consider going with just one type. The chunky one is nice but since I personally have been itching for a fine branchy scape I am curious what you could do with four or five more like those skinny ones.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was the first set up I had, wasn't to sure about it. Next step is planting after I get this hard scape figured out

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
This looks worse than before.
I disagree. If you're an iwagami zealot, this might not look great, but compared to actual natural fresh water bodies this actually looks quite convincing. It looks as if a stump and some branches have gotten tangled up on one another at the bottom of a pond. I would imagine some rocks would get swept up against the sides of this arrangement as well. Or perhaps more likely, the wood would get caught up on the rocks.

Can you post a picture from a slightly higher angle so we can get a better look at the geometry of tat big piece? It seems to form a sort of bowl. That's a very interesting shape to work with.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used eco-complete live sub so its going though a bacterial bloom right now and is super cloudy but I'll take more pics as soon as it clears up

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
The larger piece of wood is nice! I'd remove the branches though.. maybe use those in another scape.
Ultimately it's up to you, but two different types of wood, or rock just doesn't look right to most people who admire aquascapes. It's sorta unsettling. You would be better served to use the larger piece and if you can find a few smaller pieces of the same type (or break off a few pieces from the larger piece) and place them around the larger piece and build your scape around that focal area.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have always wanted to use manzanita but I can't figure out how to get it to work, so I'm just gonna remove it and try to find a couple small pieces of malaysian. I build vivariums also so maybe I can use the manzanita there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.