The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm just going to say what popped into my head when I first looked at your scape, that large stone on the left is just in the way it seems. May I suggest taking it out, maybe breaking it up into a few smaller pieces and then adding those back in its place? I've never done an iwagumi but I've seen a lot and my eye typically prefers an odd number of stones and smaller stones (about half the size) of one larger stone all "pointing" the same direction. This is just my opinion, but I think you picked out a great stone for hardscape. I keep seeing these spec tanks and its making me want one more and more. Looking forward to seeing what your end result is!

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Hi Julie7778,

I agree with the previous comments, it looks overcrowded; I too suggest losing the larger stone (which will also give you more room for plants). Also, in nature most of the time when there is an uplifting of stone they all sort of "point" the same way. Nice start by the way!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Use an odd number of stones, try a couple more configurations with with large stone in the back a little more move it so that it is either 1/3 to the left or the right. The height of the main stone should be around 2/3 the height of the tank to hit one of the golden mean points in the aquarium. Try sloping the substrate with either the higher point being against the back wall of the tank or one corner sloped downward to the opposite corner. Take your time with planning the hardscape as this is the foundation of your tank. When you like something leave it for 2 days and see if you still like it or need to go back to the drawing board. Learn from my mistakes as it is very time consuming to redo a hardscape when you have plants and animals in there! Best of luck!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Use an odd number of stones, try a couple more configurations with with large stone in the back a little more move it so that it is either 1/3 to the left or the right. The height of the main stone should be around 2/3 the height of the tank to hit one of the golden mean points in the aquarium. Try sloping the substrate with either the higher point being against the back wall of the tank or one corner sloped downward to the opposite corner. Take your time with planning the hardscape as this is the foundation of your tank. When you like something leave it for 2 days and see if you still like it or need to go back to the drawing board. Learn from my mistakes as it is very time consuming to redo a hardscape when you have plants and animals in there! Best of luck!
Excellent advice. There is a following of people who have this spacing and the (Japanese) names and the purposes of the stones perfect. Quite an art form which can replicated within the guidelines.

Or just make it the way you like it - if you enjoy the placement then make it so. It is your tank - you should love it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.