The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to set up and do a fishless cycle on a nano tank (5.5 gal) and need to source a rock or rocks as hardscape. I'm going for a simple carpeted look for the flora and want a rock or some rocks that shoot up from the substrate. Obviously river rock would be easy to source, but I want something more worn / jagged for character. Rather than buying some soulless rock from a store, I thought it would be cool to source something local from nature. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go? I haven't tried a local landscape company yet, but that would't necessarily be local. Is there any type of rock that's specific to area? I live in Monument if that helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I may have answered my own question in fairly short time. Two iconic rock types that come to mind is Pikes Peak Granite, known for it's light pink to reddish color. Then there's the Red Lyon's Sandstone and Swatch Sandstone, the most prominent of many strata found exposed in the region, most notorious with the Garden of the Gods.

Pikes Peak Granite

Red Lyon's Sandstone and Swatch Sandstone

1 - 2 of 2 Posts