The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm newer to planted tanks and aquariums in general to be honest.
I have a bunch of plants coming soon and I have a lot of work to do to this tank. lol.
I'm going for a 3D view of my aquarium, aesthetically pleasing at the front and side view as pictures above.
I'm not exactly looking for plant advice, as I plan to play around in that aspect. But my hard scape is slacking on something????
I like the driftwood with Java fern on the right where it is...possible adjusted a bit to accommodate rule of thirds.? I also would like to keep the driftwood on the left, my Otos love it and makes a good focal point on the side view.
I would also like to keep one rock(open to suggestions on other rock types,) so that I can grow algae on it.
Fake plants will be removed, they were from an established tank.
I like the "beach" in the front left corner, especially from the side view.

Open to any suggestions and input. I have 50 plants coming soon, so plenty to pick from and play around with.
I'm most concerned with the hardscape aspect, my rocks seem out of place? But might look better with dense vegetation? I need one rock to grow algae on and there's not much selection around me at my lfs's.

Should I have a taller focal point, more distinctive?

Max-Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try putting the rocks together off center. However it looks like you have an eye for scaping. However you gotta dump the fake plants :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I guess no one else was going to add any input. In case your wondering I ditched one rock and will ditch the other when I get more plants.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Few pointers from what I have learned.

1.) Slope the substrate up towards the back and the corners.

2.) Plants are too clustered. Space them out a bit more. Give some breathing room.

3.) You need a focal point, trying combining both pieces of wood slanted upwards and towards the back of the tank to create a focal point. Also do it on one of the sides and not in the middle.

4.) Leave some open space in the middle with the biggest plants in the corners and in the back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just take some time and search some aquascapes and emulate and modify the styles to your liking. Google "Dutch style aquascape" and "Iwagumi style" to start with. Go to Youtube and search "TheGreenMachine", they have a ton of videos showing step by step on how to do a lot of these styles and how to terrace your substrate with your rock and use carding to keep it from falling..etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.