The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new tank and would like some advice on the hardscape layout. I have 3 pieces of driftwood, plus one rock. See photos. I have plants on order and will arrange once I receive. Just wondering if I could get some ideas on the hardscape layout. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Are these real?
15,706 Posts
Hey Jill, keep in mind scaping and layouts are completely personal preference, so do what YOU like!

To me, the hardscape is too symmetrical and mismatched. Plus once you start to grow things it will be quickly covered.

I do like the two dark driftwood pieces, but I feel they are a number or two too small for your tank. If they were all I had, I would combine both of them off center. If you cut your tank into three virtual slices, I would arrange the two pieces at one of the "cuts", if that makes sense?

While the other branchy wood looks nice, it doesn't go very well with the more typical driftwood. Perhaps if you have a smaller tank you could make it the "centerpiece" (off-center :wink:) there. The rock... maybe for throwing?

Again, just very personal observations, and you need to find out what is pleasing to your eyes. What happened to your 65gal tank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still have the 65 gal. Planted and full of fish. I'm not much on the rock and will remove. Hoping to cover the branch piece with moss, so won't look as "stark". Have never tried this before so not sure if moss will spread and cover it or how that would work I agree about placing the other 2 pieces together, but then not sure how/where to position the branchy piece or if it's just not a good fit at all?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hardscape

Okay I made some adjustments. See pics. Thanks for suggestions. I will cover the branchy piece about half way with Christmas Moss. I do have substrate higher at the back of the tank, but hard to tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
I personally think the wood is too different. I like the skinny branchy piece, but it doesn't go with the other two because they're so bulky. If it were me, I would take the bulkier pieces out and trade for another branchy piece, or the other way around. But that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with PamAndJim, it's really hard to make two types of driftwood work well together. I'd say pick the type you like the best and it will really make your layout look more cohesive.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
What if the two thick pieces were placed like together as if they are a large nearly dead stump/root/burl with the branchy wood at an odd angle as if it was a surviving branch of a natural bonsai? Once well soaked most wood looks pretty much the same.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Just a thought here, I find 'scapes that reflect nature to simply look more realistic. Sumps "tend' to lay heavy end down. Branches float heavy end up and "seldom" settle.

I take inspiration from real pictures of underwater habitat and use them as a starting point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts