The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I’m working on a new tank and I’d be grateful for any feedback/suggestions for the hardscape I’ve got going so far.

the tank is a 30c

the foreground will be pool filter sand because I have it on hand. I’ll likely pick a piece of the stone I didn’t use to break up into smaller bits to soften the line between the rock and the sand.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I always give folks my honest opinion when they ask for feedback. At the end of the day though its just my 2 cents and what matters is how much you like it.

I approve of the amount of hardscape you have but honestly its current configuration doesn't work for me. The wood is too big for how its sitting in the tank. I'd either discard the wood and use a different piece of wood, or if you really really want to use this wood (or just want to expirement) I'd take it all apart, put the wood in first, and build up the rocks around it. This will give the impression the wood has either grown into a rocky bank, or the wood was swept downstream and rocks were pushed up against it. Both situations that happen in nature.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not a fan of the visible clean cut in the wood on the left side. Can you turn the wood clockwise a little bit, so that the clean cut is angled toward the back corner a little more? It might interfere with the light in it's current placement, but you can probably move the light if necessary, right?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'll be an odd ball, again. I really like it. That's coming from a perspective of a black water tank, though. With leaf litter, ferns and floaters with some crypts and moss near the top off the wood... It would make good use of the tannins a log like that is likely to leech as well. Blackwater is a little tricky, though, and probably not what you're picturing.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts! I have more thinking and tinkering to do!

@Plinkploop - while blackwater in the purest sense is not what I'm intending - I do plan to include mini catappa leaves and alder cones. The plants I'd like to use match your vision also - we might be on the same page 🙂

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think it'll look awesome, looking at the layout is could see fish/ shrimp coming through the little nook on the left side hunting through the catapa leaves. I definitely want to see updates, I think it'll look great!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I always give folks my honest opinion when they ask for feedback. At the end of the day though its just my 2 cents and what matters is how much you like it.

I approve of the amount of hardscape you have but honestly its current configuration doesn't work for me. The wood is too big for how its sitting in the tank. I'd either discard the wood and use a different piece of wood, or if you really really want to use this wood (or just want to expirement) I'd take it all ap art, put the wood in first, and build up the rocks around it. This will give the impression the wood has either grown into a rocky bank, or the wood was swept downstream and rocks were pushed up against it. Both situations that happen in nature.
Thanks for the honest opinion - that is exactly what I was hoping to get!

I know it is a very large piece of driftwood for the size of aquarium but for some reason I like all the shadows and hollows … I’m not entirely sure why! My original idea was for an inverted branch of manzanita or similar, much more airy and open. But when I got into my little hardscape stash I rediscovered this piece and found myself fixated on this …sort of, “partially uprooted stump thing“ I’ve been fiddling with.

I like the idea for repositioning the rocks to achieve the feel you described … it might not be clear in the photos but part of the wood is entrapped in the rocks. I think my desire to use the rocks to terrace the soil and prevent it mixing with the foreground sand has undermined the “natural-ness”

there are other bits of driftwood I could substitute ... I’ll keep experimenting 🤓

Too much wood in my opinion for that tank, I would go with a smaller piece.
Totally fair - it is pretty massive! Like I told minorhiro, the original plan was much lighter on driftwood content 🙃

I'm not a fan of the visible clean cut in the wood on the left side. Can you turn the wood clockwise a little bit, so that the clean cut is angled toward the back corner a little more? It might interfere with the light in it's current placement, but you can probably move the light if necessary, right?
The angle is pretty minimally adjustable because it is such a huge piece.

The light is on a gooseneck so adjusting it should be no problem.

If I do keep this piece I want at least the suggestion of the "cut stump" so that the “uprooted tree" appearance isn't lost but I also know the cut end can be an eye sore if I don't manage it just right…the planting strategy will have to do some of that work too I suspect.

Thank you! This helps me consider all the aspects thoroughly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts