The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm currently planning out how I want to set up my 30 gal (36Lx12Wx16H) tank and really want to have a single-species schooling fish with several otos and snails as the cleanup crew. The problem I'm running into is that my water is quite hard (180ppm+) as it is from a limestone aquifer. This is quite troublesome as most of the great schoolers (rummies, cardinals, harlequins, espeis) are all soft-water fish. As of right now, I'm thinking about getting a school of Zebra Danios, but my question to you all is, "Are there smaller fish which school well and will tolerate/thrive in hard water?".

·
Registered
483 Posts
The various Danio species would work or some of the smaller Rainbowfishes like any of the Pseudomugil species would work I think.

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
Danios don't really school well. I would go with a smaller rainbowfish species like the ones suggested above.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The various Danio species would work or some of the smaller Rainbowfishes like any of the Pseudomugil species would work I think.
[STRIKE]Jeeeeze. Just checked the price of Pseudomugils on Liveaquaria. A school of those might be out of my price budget. :frown:[/STRIKE]

Nevermind, I found an old stocklist from msjinkzd of Pseudomugil furcatus for a decent price. I wondering if she has any left.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jeeeeze. Just checked the price of Pseudomugils on Liveaquaria. A school of those might be out of my price budget. :frown:
I've always found liveaquaria's prices to be on the high side. Wetspottropicalfish has much better prices and a much bigger selection. Shipping will still run you a bit though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll call into my LFS sometime next week and see if they have any in stock. Man, pronouncing those names will be hard though. Ha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts