The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few places of different ways to clean hard water gunk off of a tank, but I'd rather here what you guys have done specifically with your equipment.

So I need to clean some hard water stains, gunk, whatever you call it off the plastic rim and hood of my tank. How have you done it?

As always, Thanks!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I have heard that vinegar is the best thing to use, but I have not tried it. I do have the same problem and am going to watch for some other opinions. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use a mix of water and vinegar. Usually a 4 to 1 mix. Id let it sit for a few hours at least but overnight is best if you can. I used to do this with my reef equipment and it worked like a charm on any calcium buildup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
White vinegar and distilled water is what I use to clean up. We have liquid rock for water here so anything it dries on gets a build up

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a mix of water and vinegar. Usually a 4 to 1 mix. Id let it sit for a few hours at least but overnight is best if you can. I used to do this with my reef equipment and it worked like a charm on any calcium buildup.
The only issue I have is that the buildup is on the rim of my tank and I don't have anything big enough to turn it upside-down in and let it soak. So maybe some good scrubbing? And a 4-1 mix sounds a lot more pleasing than pure vinegar. haha :confused:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Soak a towel in vinegar and lay it where you want to clean.

Sometimes it will scrape off but it takes trial and error to find the right tool. When I changed tanks it came off easily once good and dry. Take it easy around the silicone!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Soak a towel in vinegar and lay it where you want to clean.

Sometimes it will scrape off but it takes trial and error to find the right tool. When I changed tanks it came off easily once good and dry. Take it easy around the silicone!
That's a great idea. And thanks for the warning. I haven't seen any near the silicone, but I will be taking a closer look.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
20% muriatic acid - home depot $8 gallon

Dilute if you want to. Use goggles and ventilate.

It won't hurt plastic, and it will take care of the toughest hard water scale you can throw at it. It's no toy but it's safe if you use your head.

Always pour acid into water, not the other way around.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Vinegar and warm water. I use one of those blue Non scratch sponges from walmart. works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts