The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a source for the more obscure Cascade parts?

I'm setting up a Cascade 1000 that's been in storage a couple of years. To get it up and running we've replaced an impeller, impeller gasket, main motor housing gasket, and done some repairs on hose fittings. However, I can't find any source for the seal or gasket which tops the tube sticking up from the filter basket. It's dry and crunchy, and appears to be the source of the air leak we're experiencing.

Sorry for the poor description and lack of photos, but I hope anybody who's got a Cascade will know which part I mean, it's the offwhite seal which tops that tube running down thru the stack of filter baskets. When the baskets are assembled and the motor housing is latched down on top of them, this item fits snugly against the impeller housing.

I ordered the other parts online, it was easy to find those. But every PennPlax / Cascade parts list or drawing I've located doesn't even show this gasket, let alone offer to sell it! Tried substituting an aftermarket seal cobbled together from automotive o-rings and plastic sleeves, couldn't match the thickness needed. So if anyone's had a similar experience I'd really appreciate hearing how you solved the problem. :help:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the first place I looked. They sell everything BUT the one item I need. . . Thanks anyhow!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Pet Mtn is actually where I got my other replacement parts. Haven't checked out Ken's Fish yet but will do so.

That owner's manual is exactly what I need, Deeda, but the website won't let me log in. However you gave me a part no. so that's a major help! I actually had an owner's manual once but it kinda disappeared when I moved. . .like a lot of other useful things!

·
Registered
9 Posts
How does this seal sit in the canister? Last time I opened mine up the seal fell off the intake. Does it just sit on the intake spout that sticks down? or does it sit under the top filter plate?

Any pictures would help.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
You are welcome. Their website has a very funky log in procedure to access the manuals or instructions, it took me about 1/2 hour to figure it out.

For anyone else interested, go to Penn Plax, click on Consumer Connection then instruction sheets and then the Penn Plax FTP site opens up, Username= instructions and Password= instructions and then click on Log In.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
midnighttide102, you nailed it! That site not only sells it, but has a photo. :icon_smil Thanks, I can't believe a $1.05 item can cause so much trouble!!

drewand matt, sorry I'm having camera issues but you can see it on midnighttide102's link. It was really stuck on tight, but then again it was also dried out from the long time in storage.

Where does it sit? Well, that may be an issue as well. The parts breakdown (thanks for the login, Deeda!) shows a tube sticking down from the motor housing which I don't have and it looks like the gasket is supposed to be attached to that. My gasket was on the tube sticking UP thru the filters. When I tore down the tank this filter was last used on, there was a lot of chaos going on, so chances are I lost a piece. Prolly didn't notice at the time and now it's so much later that I didn't realize it. Until now!!

Anyhow, I feel foolish for not even knowing how my own filter should go together. But I now have access to the manual again and a couple sources to buy the gasket, as well as whatever else I end up needing! So you guys have really helped me out. THANK YOU ALL!!:proud:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts