The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help::help::help: i have a 15 gallon tank and i have 2 60W bulbs and i have had it for about 2 months, the algae was pretty good, but then in the past week it has gotten out of control, it is soft on the outside, but once you scrape that away, you get to this stuff that is like cardboard, its rough and i am stumped and when i try to get it off by scrubbing it, the water turns super green and it takes like 30 minutes to get it non green :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am using 2 lamps, 60W regular bulb (like the one you put in the lamp on your table) and yes it is a lot, just trying to grow some tough to grow plants... i think i went too far. and no, i just had snails because they came with the plants (accidentally) and actually i did have 3 autosinclis catfish or however you spell it... and a zig-zag eel. i hope that gives you more information to help answer my question.. thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
well whats the color temp of the bulb? some algae like a different spectrum of light is why i ask. the eel may become aggressive towards your oto cats. just fair warning. I am not sure what kind of algae you are having issues with but sounds like you need some Nertie snails, or a better filter, imo.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
add more nitrate and increase the co2, your algae should decrease in no time. please give more details about your tank also, along with fertilizers and co2s.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
actually, all i put in was a iron and potassium supplement, along with the lights i already talked about... that's it! umm ya, thanks!
you still did not say anything about the co2. iron and potassium does not help much if you don't have nitrate and phosphate at all in the tank. the plant growth will be slow and now very healthy, even though fish waste provide some nitrate and phosphate from fish food etc.

·
Super Moderator
12,025 Posts
i am using 2 lamps, 60W regular bulb (like the one you put in the lamp on your table) and yes it is a lot, just trying to grow some tough to grow plants... i think i went too far.
Why are you using incandescent bulbs? That will already cause problems.

While others have suggested valid points, you should first replace these with fluorescent CFL bulbs.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
CFLs are proven to be better. I dont have the facts about why, they just are. Try them for a month and youll see the difference. I would also look into DIY Co2. You will still have alot of light with CFLs. Your algae sounds like GSA to me. It is one of the easiest algaes to overcome with the use of Co2.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya, i already have a DIY co2 generator. if you would like to see it just look for diy co2 regulator. that will have a youtube link on it. (the person is not me, just someone i took it off of). and thank you, i was just wondering because the bulbs were 60W each and i had 2 so that was a lot of light for a small tank i guess. THANKS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts