The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been looking at updating my testing equipment for my aquariums, I am tired of using the regular liquid tests and guessing what my levels are at (partially color blind). So I have been researching colorimeters and most of the ones I have come across are way out of my price range, a multfunction unit will usually run around $1,000 and a unit to test for one thing is around $200 each. While doing some research I found the Hanna HC Colorimeter, these are advertised to be the key step between the liquid tests and a full blown colorimeter, you do need however need a reagent with the HC models unlike the lab-grade colorimeters, so there will be an ongoing cost with the device, but it doesn't seem to be that much, 100 tests seem to be around $10-$20 and that would last me almost an entire year if I tested all my aquariums once a week. I just have not heard any mention of them before on the forum, and the websites I have seen them on do not have any customer reviews, so if anything has tried them out let me know! It looks like you can get each tester for around $40-$60 depending on where you buy it from, so to get the three tests I would want would be less than buying a single lab-grade tester that only tests for one parameter.

http://www.hannainst.com/usa/prods2.cfm?id=045001

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hana had a good reputation. I don't think you'd have a problem with their products, but they are fairly expensive.

What parameters are you interested in testing?

For example, I test for ammonia when setting up a tank, but unless there is a problem, I almost never test for it later. I don't think I'd spend the money to test ammonia. For a parameters like pH, nitrate or phosphate, which I may want to control, I'd want to test them more often, so the tests for them might be worth it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I personally use the Phosphate and Alkalinity ones on my reef tank and i love them so much better then the liquid crap

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! I am thinking about getting a few. Asked above why I want an ammonia test is because I am working on an aquaponics setup and since I've never done that before I want to keep a close eye on the water quality for the fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts