The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Parrot have what seems to be intestine (hope not:eek: ). I know its not poop cause I say her poop recently. She still acts normal & eats well (like a pig in fact). Well heres the pic. Hopefully somebody can help me identify this. I'm almost tempted to just pull it off:icon_conf.

Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do not pull it off! She could bleed to death! Look carefully and make sure you dont see any little red worms.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see any worms anywhere. But I will double check again Tomm. Do you have any idea what that could be. I used to recall before that "thing" came out that she used to have a very large belly & her anal was very swollen. Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
She's under some kind of intestinal distress and it could be due to parasitic worms. You absolutely do not want to try to pull at her intestine. If it's not an intestinal parasite, then hopefully she will resorb the intestine. It's not a good sign though.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Are you thinking callamanus (sp?) Kdahlin? That was the first thing I though of, or SOME kind of either parasite or blockage.
Yeah. Camallanus. I don't see any worms though. It looks like it's just her intestine.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Oh man, I can't believe the fish is alive. It's technically a hernia right?... Wait a few days... If or rather when it starts getting all sorts of bacterial infections, i'd put the poor thing to sleep. Or we're talking surgury.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. Camallanus. I don't see any worms though. It looks like it's just her intestine.
So if its her intestine. What do I do? Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh man, I can't believe the fish is alive. It's technically a hernia right?... Wait a few days... If or rather when it starts getting all sorts of bacterial infections, i'd put the poor thing to sleep. Or we're talking surgury.
Its been like that for about a month already.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Obet, with camallanus the intestine protrudes like that but you will usually see a bunch of little red worms sticking out and the fish will usually have a sunken belly. I don't think you have that here but if you do end up seeing worms the drug to use is Levamisole. You could treat the fish with JungleLab's ParasiteClear in case it is due to a parasite we can't see. Or, just watch her and hope she resorbs it. I really hope she recovers for you.

·
Registered
408 Posts
There are a few things you can try. Give her some shelled peas for a few days and see if it's just a blockage. You can also give her some anti-parasitic food just in case. It won't hurt her even if she doesn't have parasites. The worms will die and then hopefully be expelled. Clearing this up may help pull her intestine back into place. I've not had good luck with Gel-tek, but have had great success with Jungle brand. You can dab it with garlic paste to make it more palatable if she doesn't like it right away. I'd treat both fish just to be safe. Pratzi-pro also makes a good product from what I hear. Good luck. That just can't be comfortable for her.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She don't seem bothered by it. She eats normal (by normal I mean grab all the food she can see) & swims normal. Are you guys certain its her intestine? I wasn't sure at 1st thats why I have the ???? If it is how could she still be alive? (knock on wood)

·
Registered
663 Posts
She don't seem bothered by it. She eats normal (by normal I mean grab all the food she can see) & swims normal. Are you guys certain its her intestine? I wasn't sure at 1st thats why I have the ???? If it is how could she still be alive? (knock on wood)
Yeah, that's her intestine. It's a hemorrhoid. A big one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Give her some shelled peas for a few days and see if it's just a blockage.
so is this what you'd do for a blockage? does this mean with or without shells? there's a blood parrot in a tank in our school library that has this same problem, but it appears to be a blockage rather than a parasite. i've actually been looking to find out what it was for a while.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Well...you know...everyone has different backgrounds when it comes to vegetables. Some of us assume they come off the tree as little balls, and some of us have had to shell 'em...

I really wasn't being snarky! :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.