The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am about to construct a light brace that will allow my Tek light to hang over my tank. I have read many posts about the distance from the water surface to the light and how it plays a big factor on algae, light exposure,etc.

My tank is a 45gal tall and stands about 25" in height. When i add the substrate, im thinking the distance from "bottom" of tank to the water surface should become a little less. If I have enough substrate and the substrate layout slopes like i planned the distance from the substrate to water surface should be as follows:
Top of slope to water surface(back of tank) 19 3/4"
Top of slope to water surface(front of tank) 21"

Not sure if these measurments really play a big factor but just thought I give them.

Anyone have suggestions on a good distance between the light and the surface of the water?

Does the distance from the "bottom" of the tank to the actual light really make a difference in any sort of way.

I had a Coralife on my last fixture with adjustable legs, so I never really considered distance between the two.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
there maybe several practical concerns when hanging a fixture.

-will popping bubbles splash up on to the fixture lens guard.
-can you raise or offset the fixture while servicing the tank.
-will glare from the fixture assault your eyes while admiring the
tank from your typical sitting or standing distance and position.
-you might also decide now if you will ever allow a plant
to grow and bloom above the waterline as they may also
impact how close you want your fixture to your water.

in my observation, water drops from bubbles generally keep
less than *3" above the actual waterline, so you can use that
mark as your minimum distance as long as you are still able
to move the fixture up or out of the way for tank service.

*obviously violent aeration would require more height,
but in a planted tank we try to keep such action to
a minimum in order to keep Co2 from dispersing.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Spypet. I totally agree with you on the considerations mentioned.

The wire kit i purchased will allow me to adjust the hieght during needed operations.
I guess Ill build the thing and see where to go from there. I was thinking about 5-6" from the surface. Since the tank sits about two feet from my couch ill have to check and see how things go. Ill post updates n the progress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts