The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Yes it is possible. You'll find however that plants cannot filter out everything like a traditional filter can.

Mechanical filtration will be virtually non-existent.
Biological filtration capacity will be lowered.

You will be more reliant on water changes to remove many compounds that plants will not filter out - Both physical and chemical.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
I am actually going to try this this week.

I ordered a Marina (there are cheaper ones but this one seems to have the best flow) hang on tank breeder box.

I want to do what you're talking about. My two ideas. But first, a couple specs of this thing. It has three compartments with the dividers being removable. There is only one intake and that's all that's in the fish tank. It requires an air line to pull up the water, that's it.

1. no dividers, just using this porous clay/lava rock stuff I got cheap and plants.

2. likely doing this. use one divider for first compartment and this will be the smaller of the two compartments. But then It will have mostly mechanical (sponges) filtration with some bio media under. Then the larger section I want to have plants with a little substrate; maybe more than a little, we shall see. But I also want to stuff a 25w heater in there too so there is nothing in the 1.5g tank this is going to hang on.

This will be a planted tank and I bought a MingDak clip on light for this as well.

Again, this should come sometime this week. likely in two days. I will follow and post updates on this thread too (already going to do so on another thread).

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
A lot of people use those breeder boxes as DIY filtration. I've done it a few times and it's worked extremely well. So if you're looking to add extra plant mass to use as bio filtration, they're definitely the way to go.

You could even use a really porous substrate like small pumice or crushed lava rock to make a greater filtration impact while making it look like you don't have any filtration at all.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
A lot of people use those breeder boxes as DIY filtration. I've done it a few times and it's worked extremely well. So if you're looking to add extra plant mass to use as bio filtration, they're definitely the way to go.

You could even use a really porous substrate like small pumice or crushed lava rock to make a greater filtration impact while making it look like you don't have any filtration at all.
awesome glad to hear this has been done successfully. I was going to make it work, but glad to hear! I will still post photos of this once done if no one else does.

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
awesome glad to hear this has been done successfully. I was going to make it work, but glad to hear! I will still post photos of this once done if no one else does.
I'm not sure if the photos are still up but this sort of DIY used to be documented here on the forum in a few different threads. May be worth searching to see if they're still around. Even if they are, you definitely should update with photos. It'll help others out.

A lot of the shrimp nerds like me use these breeder boxes to add both extra filtration and water volume for sensitive species. Also a nice way to selectively breed a pair of shrimp or to temporarily isolate itty bitty critters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.