The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Some moss and driftwood in water. Most of it recovering from a harsh bleach dip.

Taxiphyllum Barbieri ("Java moss")
Taxiphyllum sp. "Peacock moss"
Vesicularia Montagnei ("Mini xmas")
Fissidens Fontanus

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Add a few drops of fert macros to the tank. Mosses respond very well to this.

I've managed to get some really dark green growth out of browned moss this way.
Thanks, I did this. I also transferred a bunch of java moss out of another tank, so now there are 4 mossy divided sections. I need to get them attached to some SS mesh or something, so that I can remove the glass dividers and allow some flow in there.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mini update:

The peacock moss, java moss, and willow moss are all doing fine. The mini-fissidens took a HUGE hit from the bleach dip and is like 95% brown. I see some new green growth though, so I think it will bounce back.

I need to find a properly-sized light for this tank. The 10" fugeray I have on it right now isn't cutting it.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This tank had a few upgrades in the past two weeks - added a small 7.5w heater to take the chill off the water, installed a Beamswork 18" LED fixture (~30 PAR at the surface).

Here is the tank (top one) - the bottom two tanks are some experimental emersed stuff:

The fissidens is still barely recovered, but I have a nice healthy 2x2 bunch from nyxkitten thanks to his recent RAOK:

Some other mosses (java, peacock, and ?)

Top shot showing the new light fixture:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not much to report here. I have some hair algae that cropped up recently on the peacock moss - thinking about buying some amano shrimp to help with that. Might need to lower the photo period too.

I also somehow ended up with snails in there, but whatever.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Fishing line solved my thread-dissolving problem. When I had moss (RIP), I'd wrap the fishing line around the driftwood 2-3 times and knot it up. The moss stayed put and grew over the line without problems.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So after a few months, most of the mosses haven't faired too well. I think mostly due to neglect on my part, rather than anything to do with the lighting. I transferred what was salvageable out into my 10G tank (along with the Betta). I'm probably going to put this tank up for sale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts