The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've just setup a nano tank, with the plan to use it for shrimp only. but my big concern is the rate the reproduce. its a 25ltr tank, and i was hoping to have say 10-20 shrimp, but i dont want them to act like gremlins and there be 100 after few months. so is there a way to prevent the numbers growing and growing (without feeding them to other fish)???

Thanks

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I've yet to find sellers that offer just one gender but overpopulation rarely been a problem in my small tanks. Just feed them very sparingly, once a week or so and let them graze on what grows in the tank the rest of the week. Nothing reproduces past its resources, even bladder snails. Certainly shrimp won't. I do keep cull tanks to move individuals out of that I don't want in my breeding colony, but as far as issues with tanks crawling with shrimp, that's rarely an issue. And if it happens, that's a good problem -there are always hobbyists looking for shrimp should numbers get higher than you'd like.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I did have this "problem" some years ago and was able to sell them to my local fish store many times for credit or to a few local fishkeepers. It really wasn't a problem as far as the tanks being overstocked or anything. I just had large populations that I decided to take advantage of.

I also had a lot of moss in these tanks which grew to obscuring the tanks when I let it run wild. My LFS loved getting the moss (again for cash or credit to me) when I finally trimmed it up, over and over.

You might also have fishkeeper clubs in your area that often have auctions at their meetings and could unload some there if you really felt you had to.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think you'd be surprised at how little 100 shrimp actually is, especially if your tank is heavily planted.

For context, when I tore down my 29 gallon shrimp tank, I think there were over 1500 shrimp in it? They were all hiding in the stem plants. And I initially thought it was 200-300 shrimp instead of some number over 1000....

I also agree that if they start multiplying like gremlins, that you should just sell them to the LFS for credit. Shrimp make a pretty penny (just don't drop the penny in the tank).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the help folks.

only fish keeping since june so everything is new! I have 7 shrimp in my normal tank (along with fish), and one of them was carrying eggs..which where gone the next day. i think 'predators' made her drop on purpose (from reading)?.

never even occurred to me about feeding sparingly!. so in ways, dont make the tank some sort of spa for the shrimp ha, just enough for them to get on ha.

in relation to selling, my fish store said they wouldn't take any, but i've since (since reading replies here) found one or two facebook groups that will atleast let me offload them if it happens.

well yeah im sold, time to pick some shrimp!!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.