The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
It's going to eat up a lot of floor space. Also, they do hold a lot of waste which can be a bit of a mess during maine. time. I have a huge MattenFilter in My Aquaponic sump tank. It is 18x18x 2.5". I got a bit lax on my maintenance program. I let it go 60days and it took 6 rinseings in 3gl. of water each time to get it clean. Of course my Goldfish are aqua-piggies.

You could certainly build yours across the back. I think you'll want to consider how to generate evan flow across such a large pc of foam.

Are you think air power or an electric pump/ powerhead to move the water?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Are you think air power or an electric pump/ powerhead to move the water?
I'm using 2 small internal filters I had laying around but if it works out, I'll go air powered when I do a rack and get a big air pump and do it all pvc based for the air.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Air is what I'm thinking as well. Some of the people in Europe say that the filter can go literally years without maintenance.
I guess that could be possible with a small population of shrimp.

You would not believe how nasty 4 - 2" bodied Orandas could make a Matten Filter in 60days. My 1st rinse water was yellow-brown and you could not see the white bottom of the plastic bucket. After seeing that water, I would be very suspect any Mattenfilter could go years without cleaning.

Don't get me wrong I think they are a great idea in many applications. My next tank maybe be a 20L and it will use a Mattenfilter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.