The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in the title, my pH has dropped literally off the comparison chart in my test kit! The background is probably easiest to deliver in point form:

-Added 3 tabs 10 days ago placed like so in my 10g:
Admire my art. And try to ignore the periods. They are underneath about 1.5-2" of fine gravel substrate.

-Did a w/c exactly 1 week after placement. I disturbed the tabs with the siphon but they remained buried under the gravel.
-The next day (Monday) the pH went nuts (from neutral to 5.8 within a day) I changed it in the evening.
-On tuesday night (11pm) I noticed my endlers hiding under the dw again. The pH was about 6 so I did a 20% w/c.
-On wednesday morning (6 am) i had to do another 80% w/c, as the pH hd dropped again.

I am going to remove them and do another 80% w/c. Tap water is about 7.8 here so hopefully it will buffer it sufficiently. Is there any way I can safely put these tabs back in the tank?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have used these tabs many times and never had it mess with my PH. I dont think that is what is dropping your PH, but wait till you get more replies. Like I said, I have used these for the last 2 years or so and haven't had any problems.

Good luck

·
Registered
414 Posts
The box says that in very soft water you may see some drop in pH but it doesn't look like you have softwater. Have you tried testing the tap water itself recently? The pH of the water coming out of the tap can change depending on where the water company sources it from.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The box says that in very soft water you may see some drop in pH but it doesn't look like you have softwater. Have you tried testing the tap water itself recently? The pH of the water coming out of the tap can change depending on where the water company sources it from.
facepalm. That is probably what it is. The water in vancouver is rather basic (7.6-7.8, tested it this afternoon), but VERY soft and I don't alter the hardness. Like 0 dKH. At first I was thinking that the number of root tabs was too great for the tank volume (even though I put the correct amount considering the footprint). Hmm... maybe I will have to fiddle around with the hardness before I give this another go. Thanks for the break lol!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts