The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm surprised there's no interest in this sale.

Good stuff for half off. The discount isn't applied until you check out your order so keep that in mind.

Powered CO2 reactors for 17 bucks, same for external heater controllers.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh really?

Thing is though, the prices are alot cheaper than elsewhere, not representing a full 50 percent, but still.

And alot of the items show out of stock as so I thought they were clearing this stuff out.

Maybe not though, since you say it's been that way.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I really don't know if its a close out or not. But I do know that everything has been 50% for a long time now. I bought my heater controllers back in nov 06--I believe, and they were 50% off. Plus if memory serves everything was 50% off closeout a yr or so ago---I could be wrong on that though.....:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Naja, what heating controller do you use? Do you have a link from that site? I'm new to them so I don't want to be buying the wrong one. :D

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Naja, what heating controller do you use? Do you have a link from that site? I'm new to them so I don't want to be buying the wrong one. :D

Thanks.
Hi epicfish,

here's a link:

Otto Heater Controllers

I would suggest getting the 500watt model. Simply: its just more versatile for only $1 more (after discount). There is a woman (connie) over at simply discus that has been using these for 13-14 yrs and she highly recommends them. Says she's never had a problem. I currently have 3 and have had no issues.

The way I use them is this: set the heater for 3-4 degrees above what you want and then set the heater controller to the temp that you want. That way you have external adjustment through the heater controller and you are not working the heater thermostat--if the controller were to fail "on" the heater thermostat will kick in at the 3-4F higher and you won't cook everything.

For folks with the Visatherm Stealths--here's an answer for whether its working or not.....:thumbsup:

HTH

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi epicfish,

The way I use them is this: set the heater for 3-4 degrees above what you want and then set the heater controller to the temp that you want. That way you have external adjustment through the heater controller and you are not working the heater thermostat--if the controller were to fail "on" the heater thermostat will kick in at the 3-4F higher and you won't cook everything.

For folks with the Visatherm Stealths--here's an answer for whether its working or not.....:thumbsup:

HTH
The thermostats seem nice, but it's a bummer that they only have emergency shut off at 95 degrees, seems like it would be too hot for many animals at that point.

What do you mean about the Stealths?

In yur scenario above, could you set the controller for 3-4 degrees above what you want, in essence the reverse of what you said. Since I would think that the heater is more likely to fail than the controller. Not sure how these setup though, in thinking about it I'm guessing that won't work.

Can you control more than one heater with these? It doesn't seem to say.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The thermostats seem nice, but it's a bummer that they only have emergency shut off at 95 degrees, seems like it would be too hot for many animals at that point.
With the heater thermostat and heater controller--you should never have to worry about reaching the 95F shut-off. Whether its set-up the way I suggest or reverse like you are asking about. Here's an example: I set my heaters at 88F and then set the heater controller at 84F. Temps stay around 84F until the heater controller fails--if it fails "On" then power is still going to the heaters. At ~88F the heater thermostats turn the heaters off. As temps lower, they turn the heaters back on--at 88F--Off again, etc. It just starts working like a normal heater that's all. Hopefully, the owner notices the raised temp, realizes that something is wrong and takes proactive steps. High temp becomes 88F which most aquatic life can handle.

What do you mean about the Stealths?
The Visatherm Stealth heaters don't have an indicator light to indicate whether they are on or off--or even working at all. These heater controllers have a Green light indicating power to the unit and a red light that goes on and off as the unit turns the heater on and off.

In yur scenario above, could you set the controller for 3-4 degrees above what you want, in essence the reverse of what you said. Since I would think that the heater is more likely to fail than the controller. Not sure how these setup though, in thinking about it I'm guessing that won't work.
Sure, but My Opinion is that the heater thermostat is probably cheaper and less reliable long-term than the heater controller. By doing it the way You are asking: You are working the heater thermostat and "wearing it out" so-to-speak. By doing it the way I do it: It doesn't put wear and tear on the heater thermostat, so it should hopefully be working well if you ever need it.

Can you control more than one heater with these? It doesn't seem to say.
The heater controller plug only has space for 1 plug-in. But You can run up to 500 watts on the 500 watt unit. Currently, I am running 2 heaters on each of my 3 heater controllers. Below is a pic of one set-up:

From the right, You can see the heater controller. Next to it are the 2 controllers/thermostats for 2-200watt Via Aqua Stainless Steel Heaters. Next to those is a "Triple Plug-in"---the heaters are both plugged into the triple plug-in, and the triple plug-in is plugged into the heater controller. Simple enough. The heater controller plug-in is not a 3-prong grounded--its 2-prong.

HTH

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the detail, it's much appreciated.

So if they only have a spot for one plug how do you run 2 heaters off them?

·
Banned
5,279 Posts

An adaptor that you can get at any hardware store.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

Look at the picture that I posted above:

On the right hand side You can see the Otto Heater controller (White) behind the PVC Pipe. To the left of that are 2 Via Aqua External heater thermostats (Black). To the Left of those is a Triple plug-in (white) with 2 plugs (Black) plugged-in. Those Black plugs are for the Via Aqua External heater thermostats. And the (white) Triple plug-in is plugged into the Otto Heater Controller.

Triple plug-in: There is a plug plugged into the top and one into the bottom. The middle plug is empty, but hard to see in the picture.

Dual Heaters: the 2 Via Aqua Heaters are 200 watts each=400 watts total. The Otto Heater controller handles 500 watts. So, it controls both heaters only totaling 400 watts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts