The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Half of my fish were dead when I got home from work!

Here is the time line. I've had the same fish for about a year now; 9 cardinal tetras, 4 ottos and 4 cherry barbs.

Last week I went into the LFS next to my work and saw that they had German Blue Rams and all the fish were half off in October. I got a pair several days later and they seemed fine when I got them into the tank. The male was eating the next day the female didn't but seemed to act normal. They would follow each-other around the tank, didn't fight or anything. Then next day the female was dead and I thought It was just because she didn't adapt well. I got a replacement and the fish in the store looked to be healthy and it didn't appear that many hand died off.

That was last night. I got the new fish in the tank and it didn't seem to get along with the male at first. They would flair their fins and charge each-other but calmed down in a couple of hours.

I went to feed the fish this morning and they didn't seem as enthusiastic as usual. I didn't think too much about it because I fed them about 8 hours later than normal yesterday.

So I got home, half the fish are dead on the bottom. The GBR's are still alive but they have lost much of their color and seem to be lethargic. 4 tetras, 2 barbs and 2 ottos are still alive but in similar condition. Some of the fish seem to have lumpy stomachs some just look kind of full.

I don't know what could have caused this. I don't know what kind of disease could spread and act so fast.

I don't have much hope for the fish I have left. :mad: However, I would like to find out what is causing this so I can avoid it in the future and treat if possible. I'll go into the LFS tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I guess this is why you are supposed to quarantine fish. Looks like my luck has run out.

Oh yeah, I tested my water and it's the same as always ph, ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and hardness . Today would be water change day. I use 100% RO water and get it from the same place every week.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I guess this is why you are supposed to quarantine fish. Looks like my luck has run out
I hate to point it out again but you answered the question yourself.

I always QT no matter what! I learned the hard way too.

Buck up and don't let it happen again :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts