The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally made the splash back into keeping fish after 3 years. My fiance wanted a liquor cabinet so I made that as an excuse to get a tank.
I had my dreams set on the fluval edge 12 gallon but this was more in my price range.
I bought a 11 inch led bar. Not sure if I am going to use that alone or additional to the stock led. Also, next weekend I want to get a hob filter. I hate the one it came with.

I plan to make this into a planted tank. The substrate is eco complete. At the moment I have only this piece of wood in it. Next weekend when I get the other filter I will get some plants.

Let me know what you think and if anyone has experience with led lights and plants please let me know if I need to make changes to the lights.

Read more: Half moon 10 gallon tank journal

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well finally made the splash back into keeping fish after 3 years. My fiance wanted a liquor cabinet so I made that as an excuse to get a tank.
I had my dreams set on the fluval edge 12 gallon but this was more in my price range.
I bought a 11 inch led bar. Not sure if I am going to use that alone or additional to the stock led. Also, next weekend I want to get a hob filter. I hate the one it came with.

I plan to make this into a planted tank. The substrate is eco complete. At the moment I have only this piece of wood in it. Next weekend when I get the other filter I will get some plants.

Let me know what you think and if anyone has experience with led lights and plants please let me know if I need to make changes to the lights.

Read more: Half moon 10 gallon tank journal
Hello and welcome! Can you provide a link to the light that you purchased? Also can you provide tank dimensions I want to crunch some numbers to see if you have enough light to have plants in this tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has been two weeks of the tank set up. Been a week with the plants. All have been doing pretty good except the lotus. The lotus is a bit iffy but it wasn't great when it arrived. I was planning to do a fishless cycle but I never had luck with that way. I purchased a neon dwarf gourami to help the cycle. I also got filter media from my lfs to boos the cycle too. Sorry about side way photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
I had a similar piece of mopani that developed a huge amount of that "fuzz." (A fungus, I think.) I added a few ghost shrimp and it was gone within 36 hours. Those guys were little lawnmowers. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a similar piece of mopani that developed a huge amount of that "fuzz." (A fungus, I think.) I added a few ghost shrimp and it was gone within 36 hours. Those guys were little lawnmowers. :icon_eek:
I was planing on getting some shrimp. Been adding fish slowly to the tank. So maybe shrimp will be next.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had this as a problem back when I had my 55 goldie tank. I just kept taking the wood out and cleaned it. So nerite snails and shrimp should help it out?
My nerite snails did nothing for the white bacterial clouds on the mopani wood. However I did get 10 little fire red cherry shrimp and it was completely decimated within a week. No more white cloudy mopani since then.

I think any shrimp will gobble it up.

Your aquarium looks really good!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My nerite snails did nothing for the white bacterial clouds on the mopani wood. However I did get 10 little fire red cherry shrimp and it was completely decimated within a week. No more white cloudy mopani since then.

I think any shrimp will gobble it up.

Your aquarium looks really good!
Thank you! My lfs doesn't sell a big selection of shrimp. Has anyone have good experiences buy online?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you! My lfs doesn't sell a big selection of shrimp. Has anyone have good experiences buy online?
I buy all of my shrimps online. I got the fire reds from someone on eBay - just under $40 for 10 including shipping. SoShrimp.com sold some blue velvets at a really good price through [Ebay Link Removed] also around $40 for 6 including shipping.

Our LFS sells shrimp and most everything else for more than what is paid online including shipping. OneStopAquatics.com is having a sale on the tangerine tiger shrimps 6 for $20 and then shipping costs (also ordered from them).

Trinsfish.com has some as well - very reasonable pricing. Theshrimpfarm.com has very reasonable shipping rates and a nice variety of shrimp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I buy all of my shrimps online. I got the fire reds from someone on eBay - just under $40 for 10 including shipping. SoShrimp.com sold some blue velvets at a really good price through [Ebay Link Removed] also around $40 for 6 including shipping.

Our LFS sells shrimp and most everything else for more than what is paid online including shipping. OneStopAquatics.com is having a sale on the tangerine tiger shrimps 6 for $20 and then shipping costs (also ordered from them).

Trinsfish.com has some as well - very reasonable pricing. Theshrimpfarm.com has very reasonable shipping rates and a nice variety of shrimp.
I'll check those sites out. I looked at theshrimpfarm site yesterday. But I haven't came across the other ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey! I love your tank! I've got the same one, I've had it about 3 1/2 years now. I love it & how it looks. It gets more compliments than my ADA 60P! I couldn't stand the light or filter on it either. I put a 16" Finnex Fugeray on top & AquaClear 50. My betta loves all the 'elbow room'.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hey! I love your tank! I've got the same one, I've had it about 3 1/2 years now. I love it & how it looks. It gets more compliments than my ADA 60P! I couldn't stand the light or filter on it either. I put a 16" Finnex Fugeray on top & AquaClear 50. My betta loves all the 'elbow room'.
I love it too. I changed my filter to the aquaclear 20. My lighting seems to work great with my plants so far.

Did a 75% water change today. Cleaned up the brown algea and the fuzz. I ordered some blue pearl shrimps. I may get some ember tetras this weekend.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.