The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started using hairnets to hold moss, pellia, etc. to rocks or driftwood. I have a small piece of driftwood, and I wanted to attach a small java fern to it. I wrapped the whole thing loosely with the hairnet, tucking the excess under the driftwood. Well, I came home to find one of my tiger barbs tangled in the hairnet, near death. He/she didn't make it, and it's my fault. It never occurred to me that one of the fish would get underneath, somehow. The fish was so tangled in the hairnet that I had to cut the net in about three different places, and still had to untangle it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
sorry to hear about your fish. I've found hairnets and driftwood to be a bad combo myself. IME if you're going to tie down to driftwood, use string/fishing line. If you're tying down to rock, you can get the hairnet tight enough so it isn't a danger to your fish.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the hairnets work great with rocks, more even surface. But I won't use them again on driftwood. I was just being lazy, since my old fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be, and trying to tie a knot with fishing line is a real PITA!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yeah, I too hate all that tying knot stuff. I wish they would make those twistywire-ties in large continuous rolls. That way you can wrap moss/anubias to dritwood, then cut the ties at the right place. I know ADA has it, but it would be nice if we could get it in bulk at a cheaper price. LOL

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Your local garden shop should have wire twist ties on a roll. Many gardeners use it for staking plants.
Yeah but then if the little wire gets exposed it rusts.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I tried to use hair net to hold moss on a cork background. Terrible idea that I won't repeat. Cories would get stuck in the net, as if it were a gill net. I decided that hairnet belongs on human heads.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks Rex! I'll check that out. :)

As far as the wire being exposed, you can always dab some silicone glue on the ends to seal it. :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Thanks Rex! I'll check that out. :)

As far as the wire being exposed, you can always dab some silicone glue on the ends to seal it. :)
True. good point! :hihi:

I personally like zipties. at least for attaching to rocks since you can hide the back side of the rock under substrate.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If your drift wood is not a HUGE piece I have found small rubber bands shaded a dark brown at the dollar store. They are meant for fastening the bottom of little hair braids. I have used them on driftwood pieces up to 3" in diameter without any problems. They work great for moss, pellia and ferns. No tying involved, blends in to the color of the wood and you can't hardly see them. Just stretch it over and let go.
For Riccia you need a net, and yes it needs to be tight, but for the other stuff the rubber bands work great. After time they do degrade a little, but by then the moss is usually attached and the ferns need a trim, so its not that bad.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
If your drift wood is not a HUGE piece I have found small rubber bands shaded a dark brown at the dollar store. They are meant for fastening the bottom of little hair braids. I have used them on driftwood pieces up to 3" in diameter without any problems. They work great for moss, pellia and ferns. No tying involved, blends in to the color of the wood and you can't hardly see them. Just stretch it over and let go.
For Riccia you need a net, and yes it needs to be tight, but for the other stuff the rubber bands work great. After time they do degrade a little, but by then the moss is usually attached and the ferns need a trim, so its not that bad.
Thats what I do...

Have a 1lb bag of regular rubber bands in my tank stand:hihi: It works great and eventually they just dissolve away... And its fun to bring a handful to school ever now and then:icon_lol:

And it was like $3!

-Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts