The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small outbreak of hair and thread algae from some stems I bought a few weeks ago, my plants are only about 45% grown in to their potential. Its a 46 gallon that will be 100% planted when grown in. 2.34 wpg of t5 ho lighting 18 inches from the substrate 10 hours a day with an hour siesta. I EI dose and do all the necessary water changes. Is this an algae that usually goes away with time as the plants over compete the algae for nutrients.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hair/Thread Algae

Good morning joe...

Every healthy tank will have some algae. Algae is a result of too much phosphorus and nitrogen in the water. It usually means too many fish and not enough plants.

A natural solution I used in my low tech tanks is to plant more fast growing plants to use the extra nutrients. Water sprite (floated), varieties of Hygrophila, Anacharis, Pennywort and Hornwort are some good ones.

Add these plants and if you're not already and if possible, increase your water changes to 50 percent weekly and that should take care of any algae problem.

B

·
Registered
985 Posts
The only way I succeeded in getting rid of hair algae is with shorter lighting period and manual cleaning of the algae that I can my hands on. At one point, I have my lights only on for 4 hours a day. That and regular dose of excel and water change worked for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - a little off your topic but i noticed the green mesh seeming to be holding down what looks like java moss on your driftwood - haven't seen that before but seems a good way to anchor it - could you share details?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi - a little off your topic but i noticed the green mesh seeming to be holding down what looks like java moss on your driftwood - haven't seen that before but seems a good way to anchor it - could you share details?
Its weeping moss in emersed form, it takes a couple weeks to set up some roots, the nets came with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.