The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My moss is infested with hair algae to the pint of no return.

I pulled it and placed it into a 5g bucket. Is there a thread algae killer that I can dose, and once gotten rid of the hair algae- return it back to my shrimp tank without it hurting the shrimp?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've followed the "One-Two Punch" (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684) to get rid of hair algae on my moss with good results. I did leave the moss in with the excel for 24 hours before moving it back. After the treatment was done I put it back in with my amano shrimp to clean up any remaining dead/dying algae.

Another method I've used is a mixture of 1:10 3% hydrogen peroxide to water for 2-3 minutes and then just rinsed the moss with water afterwards. I have dipped for around 10 minutes because I wasn't paying attention, but the moss did not fair as well. The moss did still bounce back though. It may be helpful to start off with manual removal for either method.

·
Registered
349 Posts
CO2 3 Bubbles per minute. Reduce whenever your fish start gasping.

Simple trick is to get a Sword or Molly. I had a large one clean up a tank in a day.

Then you can see where to directly solve the problem by snuffing the algae with a rock or more moss.

Still have the GHA but, its minimal. Fish food for a Fire Orange Sword.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Is moss saturated in excel/H2O safe for shrimp if it is then rinsed with RO?
go easy on the excel at first. Turn off filtration -> use Excel in a spot -> give 5 minutes before turning filtration back on. I say go easy because I've seen excel do a number to certain plants of mine.

Typically takes 24 hours to see hair algae turn white then another 48 hours to disappear. My RCS and amanos don't have a problem with excel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.