The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 years running a 46 Gal Bowfront w/Fluval Plant 3.0 (7 months w/Fluval light -- previously had a Current 36 inch). Eheim 250 canister and Marineland Penguin 330. CO2 on timer one hour before lights go on to one hour before lights go off. Water params are perfect. Stopped dosing tank except for once a month with Excel and Flourish. Feed once a week a small amount.

Tried using NA Thrive about a year ago and this algae appeared and can't seem to shake it now.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if I can provide any other details.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts

2 years running a 46 Gal Bowfront w/Fluval Plant 3.0 (7 months w/Fluval light -- previously had a Current 36 inch). Eheim 250 canister and Marineland Penguin 330. CO2 on timer one hour before lights go on to one hour before lights go off. Water params are perfect. Stopped dosing tank except for once a month with Excel and Flourish. Feed once a week a small amount.

Tried using NA Thrive about a year ago and this algae appeared and can't seem to shake it now.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if I can provide any other details.
Pictures didn't load

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
So when did the algae problem start? Soon after the light change? After not dosing? I feel like your lighting is too high for dosing once per month. I'm probably wrong.

Edit: just re read your post. So about a year ago. In my opinion you're not dosing enough fertilizers and the algae is outcompeting your plants due to high light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Started while using the Current light and dosing with Thrive

Bump: Wow... I kind of backed off because the explosion of Algae happened with Ferts with the old light, but you think it might be the reverse problem now?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Some of your plants look like they're melting. Probably need to up your maintenance. More frequent water changes. Remove what algae you can manually, trim the dead dying leaves, initiate a more routine fertilizing regime. 3-5 times a week vs the 1/month. Vacuum like mad

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Started while using the Current light and dosing with Thrive

Bump: Wow... I kind of backed off because the explosion of Algae happened with Ferts with the old light, but you think it might be the reverse problem now?
Yes and no. Just 1 part of multiple parts with our tanks. I've had the same problem as you.

Things were doing well, all of a sudden hair algae here and there. I was constantly removing hair algae with a skewer or with some tweezers and was dosing Metricide (glutaraldehyde). Everything was held somewhat at bay but algae was still increasing. Started to up my water changes and vacuuming up mulm that was on top of my substrate. Realized I was just fertilizing like mad still. Started to read threads and journals here on the forum. Realized the amount of fertilizer I was putting in would accumulate over time. Thus leading to more problems.

So the things I did was:

Dialed my lights back( I have the same light as you) down to 75% max.
Dialed in my CO2 ~30PPM
Dialed in my ferts
Stopped using Metricide started to use H2o2
Twice weekly (minimum 50%) water change with aged water.
Reduced fish feedings to every other day sometimes just twice a week(heavier feeding)

So you must think, wow that's the answer? Nope I still had hair algae. I continued this for weeks. And it gradually got better. Then I pulled out some plants and I started to get staghorn algae.:confused: . But I kept at it. It's probably been a month(at least a good several weeks). Staghorn is starting to dwindle, and so is the green algae that covers my rocks.

Point being, stick to a plan and follow through. It won't change over night. Nor will it change within a week(I've seen some hobbyists that it actually has changed for them in a short period of time).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.