The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
****IMAGE ATTACHED BELOW******

Hello,

I am Sreenath, and Currently I stay in India. Actually the main question to ask you that, I setup a new Planted Aquarium for my home and recently after 3 day I can see Hair Algae all over my Plants.

---------------------Tank Specification------------------

Size - 3ft(length) x 1.5ft(width) x 1.5ft(height)

Light - 4 x 20 watt Led Tube (10 hours continious)

Co2 Pressurized Gas - 4 Bubbles/Sec

Fertilizer - Flourish

Filter - UV Canister Filter

------------------Problems----------------------

1. Cuba Carpet plant having some of the leaves turning yellow/brown, transparent.

2. Hair Algae all over my plants

PLEASE HELP ME REGARDING THIS PROBLEM I NEED A VERY URGENT SOLUTION!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
****IMAGE ATTACHED BELOW******

Hello,

I am Sreenath, and Currently I stay in India. Actually the main question to ask you that, I setup a new Planted Aquarium for my home and recently after 3 day I can see Hair Algae all over my Plants.

---------------------Tank Specification------------------

Size - 3ft(length) x 1.5ft(width) x 1.5ft(height)

Light - 4 x 20 watt Led Tube (10 hours continious)

Co2 Pressurized Gas - 4 Bubbles/Sec

Fertilizer - Flourish

Filter - UV Canister Filter

------------------Problems----------------------

1. Cuba Carpet plant having some of the leaves turning yellow/brown, transparent.

2. Hair Algae all over my plants

PLEASE HELP ME REGARDING THIS PROBLEM I NEED A VERY URGENT SOLUTION!!!

Sounds like far too much light, I'd drop that down to 6 hours MAX until plants really fill in. You've got good plant mass, but it's a newer setup so it needs time to establish.
Inadequate fertilizer - Flourish is fine for micro's, but it lacks sufficient amounts of N and P for the plants to really thrive. You need to find a nitrogen and phosphate source to add, if you can get raw materials like KNO3 and KH2PO4, those will do the trick while also adding plenty of K(potassium).

What substrate are you using?

4 bubbles/second doesn't tell me anything. Do you have a drop checker, or have you checked your pH to insure you're getting at least a 1 degree pH drop? When the CO2 is on and has been running for a couple hours, your pH should drop by 1 full degree. I like to test this by filling a vial with water, letting it sit and off-gas for 12-24 hours, and then testing the pH in the vial. I will then take a sample from the tank after CO2 has run for a few hours and test that. The 1 degree rule is a rough estimate, you can get more precise by using the CO2 calculator over at rotalabutterfly.com. You'll need to know your KH for this.

What are your water parameters? GH, KH, pH, ammonia, nitrite, NO3, PO4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great reply.

So you mean that adding P and N would establish the growth of my plants. So will it take away the Hair Algae from then?

Substrate I am using is Tropica Aquarium Soil 9L * 3 (without any base as the company claims that using it only will work.)

And how can I know my Water Parameters as I am totally new to it!

And want to say that how will the Hair Algae can be stopped from growing?

And currently seeing to my Aquarium I can see that a Layer of hair Algae has also started to grow on top of the substrate soil.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
. When plants have all the nutrients they need to grow well algae does not do well and may die off.

When right conditions are given to plants algae has less chance. But I think current algae will still do well in nutrient rich water.

It is good to find the main cause. Some amano shrimp can help with some minor hair algae but also try to fix the main cause.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
When right conditions are given to plants algae has less chance. But I think current algae will still do well in nutrient rich water.
My experience with air algae is that it does die off when all essential plant nutrients are pressent. Many EI tanks are dosed at even higher fertilizer levels than I am using and when everything is done right little to no algae is pressent.

It is good to find the main cause. Some amano shrimp can help with some minor hair algae but also try to fix the main cause.
Flourish was once my primary fertilizer. However it is deficient in N, P, Ca, Cu, and Zn. These nutrient deficiencies will slow or stop plant growth which will leave most of the fertilizer for the algae.

In this case the fertilizer is probably the main cause. Based on the picture he posted his hiar algae is growing way to fast for shrimp or snails to be effective. Reducing the light to 7 hours on time might help a little but based on my experience shrimp snails and reduced light levels will not clear it up.

get a good test kit to monitor Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, GH, and KH. Ammonia and Nitrite are toxic to fish and you don't want that in the tank. Nitrate should never be zero. You always want to see some. I try to keep my nitrate at 10ppm and my phosphate at 1ppm (phosphate test kit is optional but I perfer to have one). GH is a measure of total calcium and magnesium levels in the tank. Tap water with GH of 6 degrees should have enough calcium and magnesium. If it is less than that a GH booster is recommended. KH is a measure of carbonates in the water. Carbonates help stabilize the water PH. Many aim for a KH of 3 degrees bit it is possible to have a successful tank with little to no KH. For PH you want it stable between 6 and 8.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.