The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having slight trouble with some brown hair algae in my fifty-five gallon aquarium. I suppose it is moderately to heavily planted and contains six oto's, ten Amano Shrimp, and two SAE's;I'll post a picture of the aquarium so you can see for yourselves. The plants are doing fine but the algae is unsightly, particularly on the hair grass. I've heard that dosing with Flourish Exel is effective at getting rid of it, but I don't know how much to dose and how frequently. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

On another note: I know that balance of nutrients, CO2, and light intensity is a key factor in having a thriving "algae free" aquarium. I have no precise way of measuring the quantities of nutrients that are actually in my water or how much CO2 is dissolved. Are there any test kits so I can accurately and precisely gauge the amount of nutrients I am adding? I am currently using Pfertz nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and micro nutrients; I put two pumps of each in the aquarium daily. I am also running a coralife light fixture with four sixty-five watt 10,000K compact fluorescent bulbs, which are on about 8 hours per day. Any advice or input on my setup would be wonderful.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

There were quite a few bubbles in the aquarium due to a recent water change, si I'm sorry if there are so many small bubbles in the water. The tank is only half planted.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Boberety69 - I also have a 55G planted tank and have also ran into a bit of trouble with hair algae. I think I might have finally beat it.

Here are a few things I did:
Light - I ran 96W for 7 hours, then have 130W come on for a burst for about an hour. ~ I am thinking you will want to do something similar being you do not have a large established plant mass yet. I think you have more than enough light right now. Once the plants start to fill in then you can increase the duration of light.

~ Make sure your filters are good and clean. My canister was overdue on its cleaning and the flow was really poor.

~ Make sure you are not over feeding the fish - I added 5 Florida flag fish to eat the stuff and then cut my feedings back to every two or three days.

~ Do large water changes. I am now doing 70-80% instead of the normal 50%.

~ Keep up on your dosing and make sure your CO2 is high enough. I am not sure where mine is but the fish are fine and I have cranked it up quite a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts