The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you get rid of hair algae in a low tech set up. I have ottos and cory cats but they are not doing the job. is there something else i can use. this is low tech 56 gallon. any help would be great.
thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i really don't want to go to co2. i wanted a low tech and co2 is just not in the budget. SAE? are they the yellow looking ones. Right know i have 5 ottos ( i think that is what they are called) and they do a great job on the glass and some of the plants but the plants with the hair algae they want nothing to do with them. what about snails? are their any that might help?

·
Registered
803 Posts
RCS cleared out my badly infested ten gallon tank in about a week or two. They go NUTS for hair algae. BUT, if you have other fish than the ottos and cats, they'd probably eat the shrimp. :( The ottos and cats may also, though some people here have had okay luck with them not doing that. I've read that RCS sometimes survive in heavily planted tanks with lots of hiding places ~ they just don't reproduce anywhere near as fast. Don't know if them hiding all the time would allow them to clear the hair algae though.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
RCS are another way to go for low tech and I've never seen an issue with corys or ottos with RCS...

Now some items that makes me wonder is how often your changing the water and adding ferts?

Also what is growing in there under what type of light?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do a water change every 2 weeks. the lighting is one 65000 65 watt for 6 hours a day. no ferts (used eco complete when i set it up). easy growing plants. anubias, java fern and stems. the tank has been set up for over 3 months now with no problems until about 2 or 3 weeks ago. my filter is a xp3 and the tank is a 56 gallon. should i upgrade the water changes. when i do water change i take out 15 gallons. maybe i should take out more?

what is RCS?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Try spreading out the WC a bit unless you have high bio load...

No CO2 and one bulb could be a good low tech if treated carefully.

Get some shrimp in there... Amanos are good too. :)

Don't go for liver bearers as a hair algae deterrent. SAE will just get lazy and want food later in life.

Shrimp just wanna eat and seem to clean all day long unless heavily fed.

Algae will take a hold of trace ammonia even if other things are not added to the system. Try keeping some good bio media in the filter and see if you can balance things out.

Adding ferts to a system such as this just means less is required. Without a bunch of light feeding the cycle there is not a huge demand.

A decent comprehensive plant fert can keep things rolling. Just don't use too much. Remember things will grow slower.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.