The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:icon_frow how the hell do u get rid of this stuff & what causes it in the first place?? i use 100% DI/RO WATER PH IS AT 6.6 TEMP 76-78 I HAVE 3 36 WT 6700 K BULBS ON A 55 GAL TANK NO C02 YET BUT WOULD LIKE TO GET PROBLEM IS I HAVE 2 EMP 400 FILTERS & WOULD MAKE A DIY C02 REACTOR BUT DONT KNOW HOW TO PLUMB IT IN.. i just ordered a new cp floresent 4x65 any suggestions?? my plants are all but gone & the rest are coated in hair algae??

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had the exact same prob w/ hair algae and measured my nitrate & it was 5ppm. Way too low. I used gw fert and direct hits of excel w/ a syringe 2-3x the rec. dosage for my tank and within 3-5 days all the hair algae was gone.

I could not believe it but it worked. I need to post those pics...

So watch your nitrate and hit 'em w/ excel!

·
Registered
256 Posts
1) Don't add more lighting until you can add CO2 and fertilizer. Doing so will just cause more algae. DEFINITELY don't put 260 watts over the 55g until you get large amounts of CO2 going.

2) Are you adding some kind of buffer to that RO water?

3) Dual Emperor's is going to mess with your CO2 levels once you start injecting I think....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes im adding a buffer to my ro/di .. im looking to get a new filter & do away with the emperor 400 "s .. Im thinking about a fluva cant remember the model but it's the 1 for a 100 gal tank that should move enough water, also for the co2 can i just put a t fitting in the output line when i get new filter? i just started 2x dosing with the {exce}llast nite along with some {potassium] & {flourish} :help: anything else u think i should do also i dont like to fab anything so is there a good co2 setup i can buy -complete ? my plants useto grow well but idk if the spectrum in my bulbs changed or what happened??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts