The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I have this black hairy algae growing on the edges of my anubias leaves and also covering my vals. My quiestions are:
1. What is this stuff?
2. is there a peroxide or excel dip that i could remove my plants and dip them in the solution to kill the algae?

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Hey guys!

I have this black hairy algae growing on the edges of my anubias leaves and also covering my vals. My quiestions are:
1. What is this stuff?
2. is there a peroxide or excel dip that i could remove my plants and dip them in the solution to kill the algae?
sounds like Black Beard algae, and H2o2 is a good way to kill it.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
If it is BBA (sounds like it) the best treatment I have used is to turn off your filter and other circulation equip, get an insulin syringe and dose directly to the areas that are affected (you can dose about twice what seachem says if you don't have fauna in the tank you can go 4x-5x what it says), then leave the filter off for an hour (two is even better). Do that for three to five days then you should be able to manually remove the white algae.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys!

I have started dosing excel directly with a syringe on my anubias. So far it is thining out and turning red so im hopeful. However i have a lot of vals (4 large bunches) and would like to remove them from the tank and dip them in a solution, can anyone help me with the following questions:

1. What should i use bleach or excel (for a dip)?
2. Mix ratio of the above for dipping a single bunch in?
3. How much time do i keep the vals in the solution?

And finally should i trim the vals back because they have stopped growing (previously growing like weeks)?

Thanks for your help with this, its the first time ive tried a planted tank and it seems as if im a master algae grower already !!!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
to follow up on that.. if you don't correct the root cause. it will come back

good fertilizer routine, lower your light levels. and increase c02 if u have it. IF you don't have c02 injection. light is basically your enemy in a planted tank without constant running fresh water.. good surface agitation and a strict well balanced fert routine will promote healthy plants which will control algae. unhealthy plants = algae healthy plants = no algae

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.