The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have had hair algae growth for the past month of having my tank up and runny. I have been letting the tank get established and keeping an eye out. I wouldn't say that it is terrible but it is unsightly. My light is 95 PAR at 12". My substrate is roughly 18". I run my light for 7 hours a day, CO2 for 7 hours a day. My CO2 is pretty close to being dialed in for a 1 point drop from degassed PH level. I also done 2X a week with ThriveS. I have 10-15 amano shrimp, a bistlenose Pleco, and too many snails for my liking (which I just read is an indicator of an unhealthy tank). I feed 3X a day but going to cut it back to 2X a day.

I'm still struggling to get my plants to grow as well as they should be. Being only a month old, I'm giving it time. But I want to get rid of this algae. Should I run my light and my CO2 for less time? Raise my light up? Blackout the tank for a few days? If I black it out, what else do I have to do in terms of CO2 etc.? I understand consistency is a goal and I would hate to throw off my regime to black it out if its unnecessary. Anxiously waiting the advice of some hobbyists who have this figured out. Thank you.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
178 Posts
Normally hair algae is an indicator of too much light but in this case your lighting is appropriate. What I think is overfeeding. Is there a particular reason why you are feeding so much? Adult fish don't need fed multiple times a day, or even daily. Myself and a lot of others on the aquarium forums I'm apart of feed every other day, so only 3-4x per week.

Not to mention if it is softer hair algae, your amanos will eat it happily but only if you aren't providing them too much of another food source. I understand it will be hard to feed your pleco exclusively, but cut back on the feeding before you try anything else.

A close and good quality picture of the algae in question would help me give you a better answer though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I don't know how I would feed my pleco or my Rams exclusively. Rams are only a couple months old at best I would say.
Plant Sky Terrestrial plant Organism Natural landscape
Water Blue Plant Terrestrial plant Electric blue

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation Reptile

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly the hair algae doesn't seem bad at all. I would just dial back your feeding and do manual removal. Am I seeing some BBA in that last picture as well?
I'll try less feeding. I do manually remove it. I know it's not bad but I don't want it to get bad.

The Java ferns have been awful with whatever that all is at the top. I don't understand the plant. I know they reproduce with spores... But almost right after planting them, they all grew that algae at the tips and sprouted leaves. The leaves didn't look like Java fern leaves though and since they all did that, I thought that's how they are. Still not too sure, but I've seen some very healthy ferns and mine aren't doing it for me.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Those little plantlets on top of the JF is what it usually does under distress. It's in survival mode trying to put out new plantlets. It's primary growth is along the rhizome as it creeps along the attached wood or rock. Cut those leaves off and see if you could get some new healthy leaf growth. Those leaves will never look good (especially if they were grown emersed) even if your water is perfect.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those little plantlets on top of the JF is what it usually does under distress. It's in survival mode trying to put out new plantlets. It's primary growth is along the rhizome as it creeps along the attached wood or rock. Cut those leaves off and see if you could get some new healthy leaf growth. Those leaves will never look good (especially if they were grown emersed) even if your water is perfect.
Cut the leaves or the plantlets off? Just want to confirm. I've been trying to find this information, so thank you.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Cut the leaves or the plantlets off? Just want to confirm. I've been trying to find this information, so thank you.
Cut off the entire leaf where it meets the rhizome. If you tank is good you'll get new healthy leaves growing out of the rhizome. Cutting off leaves also allows the plant to use resources to form new leaves. The leaves that start and grow in your water will be the best looking.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cut off the entire leaf where it meets the rhizome. If you tank is good you'll get new healthy leaves growing out of the rhizome. Cutting off leaves also allows the plant to use resources to form new leaves. The leaves that start and grow in your water will be the best looking.
Im doing it tonight. Thank you.

I removed all the bad leaves from two of the plants and found so much healthy new growth!!! The third plant... Well it had about 1/4" of rhizome under the tie and that what is it. No roots off the rhizome, no new growth. I don't feel too hopeful for it. This is the plant that I had posted a picture of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts