The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I’m going to have a rookie question cause it’s driving absolutely crazy. Did a full rescape, removed most of the old plants and added a few new ones. A week in and I have hair algae and I don’t know what to do. It’s taking over the tank rapidly. Co2 injected and luminie asta f120 light on for 6 hrs a day. EI ferts are on order.
Parameters are:
ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrate (much higher than I want)
KH 8
GH 14
Phosphate 0
PH 7.4
Temp 24.5
How do I fix this?
12 neons, 2 nerites and an assassin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hard to tell what plant is in the photo, but go ahead and remove it. It is no longer healthy and now contributing to your algae issues. Trim any other affected plants as well. If your nitrate is 'much higher than you want' then a water change (or series of) of 50% would be a good idea. When you do your water change, try and clean any waste on or in your substrate as well. Removing organics is key to an algae-free environment. You could also do a 3 day blackout until your ferts arrive. You also need to get your po4 up above zero - it's an important nutrient for your plants. It would be a good idea to try and get for your nitrate to phosphate ratio to 10:1.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nitrates higher than you want doesn't tell us much since we don't know what you want, give us a number.

PO4 should not be zero.

You probably introduced the algae with the new plants. Try to clean up as much as you can and maybe spot treat with Excel.

Can you post a full tank shot?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plants on the bonsai is fissidens Fontanus. If I pull some of the algae off the fissidens is bright green. I'm worried the light is contributing. It's quite a strong light but I can't put it any higher above the tank and it doesn't dim. Nitrates were about 100 but when I did a water change they dropped to 40ppm. That’s a full tank shot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes, you can see how the algae gets thicker the closer it is to the light. Maybe get some floating plants, they will create shade for the plants underneath and help with the Nitrates as well. You should keep your Nitrates around 15ppm, the only way to bring them down is by changing the water or through plant growth but it will take a lot of plants.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I’m worried the light is contributing. It's quite a strong light but I can't put it any higher above the tank and it doesn't dim.
^this is your problem.

I know that there are dimmers out there on lights like this but you’re gonna have to do some digging to find out how to add one. Regardless it’s too much light on your tank and that is why you were getting such crazy algae. You need to find a way to reduce the amount of light. You can tweak the ferts and CO2 all you want but they’re not gonna catch up with that amount of light to keep it balanced. I like the idea of adding floating plants to create shade underneath. But You can also install some layers of screen on the top of the tank to filter the light in order to reduce it. I’ve cut out plastic window screening and used magnets to attach them to my ADa solar mini because it is way too much light for the small take that it is designed to go over. And the window screening works. You can pick some up from Home Depot. But until you address the light you’re gonna have more problems with algae.

·
Registered
532 Posts
With Nitrates at 100ppm I will toss in my favorite, but often overlooked, culprit ...overfeeding.

You might also try spot treating with hydrogen peroxide until you get your tank balance corrected. Also consider adding a couple of immersed(dangled) plants like Pothos or Anthurium. These are cheap nitrate sponges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts