The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This 8.8g has been a dry start tank for 11 weeks. The moss took 4 weeks to take hold as a dry start. It has been flooded for a week now. No fish or inverts yet.

• Fluval 3.0 Plant Light - now reducing from 8 hours to 7
  • Drop checker was reading 30-40ppm, reducing to aim closer to 30 or just below.
  • CO2 goes on 1 hour before lights go on, off 2 hours before lights go off. Have been having an issue with low KH.
  • Fluval stratum
  • Nitrates around 20ppm
  • NilocG Thrive+ while I wait for my EI dry ferts
  • Excel on a daily basis

Hair algae caught up all over Fissidens fontanus moss on spider wood. It was growing in a separate bin and I think some hair algae was attached at the time I introduced the wood into the tank. I'm pulling some out every day.

The plants have been exploding in growth over the span of a week. But so has the hair algae.

I have read that sometimes its just the break-in period, mixed opinions that the hair algae will never leave the moss and choke it out, to black out the tank for 3 days while others say it will affect sensitive plants, etc. It's mostly on the moss but some has made its way onto the HC. I want to fix this before it becomes a true nightmare. Any suggestions?

Should I take the wood out, submerge it in a separate container with no light for a few days?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would also temporarily reduce your photoperiod to like 5-6 hours as you treat with h2o2. Also do a quick once over to see if they is any organic waste can be cleaned out in addition to using a leaner dosing regime.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nitrates around 20 seems high to me these days. I think that typical high nitrate advice works when growing stems and constantly trimming and turning over.

What are your phosphates? 10/1 ratio?

Probably too many nutrients in the tank.

Treat with H202 would be my plan. I dont see any livestock.
I forgot that I had also pushed in a bunch of seachem root tabs into the substrate upon my initial set up. There's no way I can find them and get them out now that the carpet is full. The plants are currently truly exploding with growth, all of them. So perhaps I can cut back on fertilizing with liquid. If anything I might be able to just dose with micros.

Wouldn't H2O2 harm the rest of my plants? I remember reading mixed advice about H2O2 with HC. Some say that it didn't affect their HC but some say the HC died back. No livestock until things are stable.

I would also temporarily reduce your photoperiod to like 5-6 hours as you treat with h2o2. Also do a quick once over to see if they is any organic waste can be cleaned out in addition to using a leaner dosing regime.
I did a 50% change the other day and I'll do another probably tomorrow. The nitrates have reduced since yesterday so I'm assuming the plants are taking it up. I'm going to buy a phosphate test kit soon. I was able to pick up phosguard. But i wont use it until i test. Still having an issue with low kh.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for posting as I am having issues with hair algae as well. Your tank is quite stunning, I look forward to reading your progress and results.

......and the replies from those who also contribute.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for posting as I am having issues with hair algae as well. Your tank is quite stunning, I look forward to reading your progress and results.
I really have been trying to research solutions that may be more specific to my situation, but I haven't been able to find enough specific information so far as to remedies that were attempted in a similar setup.

I have come to the conclusion that because the hair algae has started and mostly stuck to the moss, and since I was growing the moss on the wood outside of the tank in a separate bin, which was filled with algae by the time i was done with it, some hair algae must have been developing on it and I was not thorough enough in my inspection of it to remove it. So since I am able to remove the wood although I don't want to, I will put it into a separate bucket of water for at least a few days, without any light source, manually remove any hair algae i can, change the water each day, and attempt to put it back in I guess...

My goal in this is to a) prevent any more spreading of it to my other plants (although it is very easy to remove it from the others), and b) hopefully removing the main source and letting it die will prevent more of it from forming later.

I dunno. I've never faced this issue before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts