This 8.8g has been a dry start tank for 11 weeks. The moss took 4 weeks to take hold as a dry start. It has been flooded for a week now. No fish or inverts yet.
- Fluval 3.0 Plant Light - now reducing from 8 hours to 7
- Drop checker was reading 30-40ppm, reducing to aim closer to 30 or just below.
- CO2 goes on 1 hour before lights go on, off 2 hours before lights go off. Have been having an issue with low KH.
- Fluval stratum
- Nitrates around 20ppm
- NilocG Thrive+ while I wait for my EI dry ferts
- Excel on a daily basis
Hair algae caught up all over Fissidens fontanus moss on spider wood. It was growing in a separate bin and I think some hair algae was attached at the time I introduced the wood into the tank. I'm pulling some out every day.
The plants have been exploding in growth over the span of a week. But so has the hair algae.
I have read that sometimes its just the break-in period, mixed opinions that the hair algae will never leave the moss and choke it out, to black out the tank for 3 days while others say it will affect sensitive plants, etc. It's mostly on the moss but some has made its way onto the HC. I want to fix this before it becomes a true nightmare. Any suggestions?
Should I take the wood out, submerge it in a separate container with no light for a few days?