The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some hair/thread like algae that's been gradually growing on some of my driftwood, broad plants leaves and even my substrate. I've changed around a few things in my tank recently and it actually so far seems to have stopped growing and getting worse, but what is there won't go away. Here's what I have (it's fairly low tech I'd say)

29 gallon
Eco-complete substrate
HOB filter facing the length of the aquarium to get the most water flow out of it
2 26W 6500K CFL's on clip on desk lamps overtop on for 9 hours a day (I will eventually be moving these around so they don't sit too close to the water)
Excel every day to 2 days
Potassium and Iron alternating every day
Flourish once a week
25-50% water changes once a week, and filled back up to top (I get about 2 gallons of evaporation a week)

Since I have added the alternating potassium and iron, and I gradually overdosed on Excel (fish are fine!!) the algae seems to have stopped spreading, because I no longer have ANY appearing on my glass by the time I do my water change, and I can still see growth in most of the plants.

Can anyone think of what I maybe should change? I am hoping the light will soon be further away once I rig up something better for them to clip on to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Run your lights for six hours.

Also, I think adding potassium and iron plus the flourish is too much. It takes a couple weeks for the black hair algae to fall of the leaves, since the BHA has a root system.

If its still growing, I'd dose the excel once a day until you see the algae turn pink.

·
Banned
5,927 Posts
I use Excel @ 2x the recommended doses every day.
Complete ferts would help your plants grow better and that is the best way to hinder
algae.
Getting a couple of brooder lamps and removing the clamp and hang them from a couple of bookshelf bracket will allow you to raise them at will. I'd think the 23W bulbs would be better for a 29g but raising what you have is mostly the same thing.
6 hrs on the lights would help for now, but working on getting the plants growing better is a more long term solution.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Carbon is key!

Excel every day to 2 days
Excel 2x EVERY DAY! (untill algae is gone)
or preferably, normal dosage and spot treat with a spray bottle or pipette. Spot treat with hydrogen peroxide as well!

I got spray bottles at the dollar store, and screwed the sprayer on to the small HP bottled for easier maneuverability in the tank. Turn the filter/recirculation off spritz with HP, wait 5 minutes and spray with Excel (or equivalent) wait 5 minutes, then turn filters back on. You should notice algae starting to turn red in a few days. Take one light off completely or run it only 1 or 2 hours in mid light cycle.

Carbon (excel) and/or CO2 are paramount to keeping algae at bay, and must be added daily preferrably when the lights come on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.