The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am day 6 into a newly planted 17gal tank, running CO2 and doing 40-50% water changes daily. I used ADA substrate, Amazonia soil and then Amazonia powder. I am also using Seachem Stability daily along with Prime (due to the frequent water changes) and am dosing with 2 squirts of ferts. I currently have a Fluval 3.0 for light but this weekend will be switching to the Chihiros WRGB2. In
My ammonia levels are still high and am getting green and white hair algae all over the tank (I think they are killing my Monte Carlo).
What can I do? Is it too early to add shrimps and nerites? My pH is around 7, ammonia around 4ppm, nitrite is around .5ppm and nitrate is about 20ppm.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The leaves on your Montecarlo plants are dyeing off because the plants are developing new leaves with the proper enzymes and proteins for your water conditions. There is a good chance that the Montecarlo was grown terrestrially instead of submerged... but either way die off of the existing leaves is very common in newly introduced plants and an expected part of their adaptation to your water conditions.

40% - 50% daily water changes are probably the best thing you can do for your tank. Remove as much of the hair algae with a tooth brush as you can and don't change anything. The adaptation of your plants has begun, making changes to your regime will only stunt them more.

If it were my tank I would not add ANY animals for another month... except maybe pond snails to help control green surface algae which will probably be what pops up next in my experience. I do not think shrimp would be very successful at this point in time. Your tanks needs a chance to cycle and settle in to consistent water conditions. The chemistry of your tank will constantly change over the next month or so until is settles.

By far the most difficult part of a new tank is developing the patients to let it come to an equilibrium before making any changes like adding animals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The leaves on your Montecarlo plants are dyeing off because the plants are developing new leaves with the proper enzymes and proteins for your water conditions. There is a good chance that the Montecarlo was grown terrestrially instead of submerged... but either way die off of the existing leaves is very common in newly introduced tanks and an expected part of their adaptation to your water conditions.

40% - 50% daily water changes are probably the best thing you can do for your tank. Remove as much of the hair algae with a tooth brush as you can and don't change anything. The adaptation of your plants has begun, making changes to your regime will only stunt them more.

If it were my tank I would not add ANY animals for another month... except maybe pond snails to help control green surface algae which will probably be what pops up next in my experience. I do not think shrimp would be very successful at this point in time. You tanks needs a chance to cycle and settle in to consistent water conditions. The chemistry of your tank will constantly change over the next month or so until is settles.
Thanks for the advice. It turns out I had some little stowaways in one/some of the plants I purchased as I have 2 really small snails. Not sure what type they are just yet.
As far as my routine should I continue with the 40-50% water changes for another week? Or until the hair algae begins to disappear?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Perfect! Stow away snails are generally quite hardy and will self balance their population with the food available to them in the tank.

I would try to keep up the a water changes until you see a reduction in the hair algae if you have the energy to do so. If you don't have an easy water change technique keeping up daily water changes can really zap the enjoyment out of a tank.

My 180g tank gets a 40g water change every morning before I even wake up and it has done wonders for plant growth and the health of the tank. But this is after many years of doing manual water changes and getting sick of it so I decided from the start that it would have an automated water change system.

P.S. My 180g had an initial bout of hair algae for a while during start up even with the automated water change system. Some people say hair algae in a new tank isn't inevitable... but it has always seemed inevitable in my new tanks. :)

And... Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I do 50% changes daily during plant melt/ start up algae infestations with quite a bit of success. It's just having the patience to wipe the algae off and doing the water changes daily that is sometimes hard. I am currently waiting for my algae bloom on my new set up, as was mentioned, it's expected. I'll be more surprised if it doesn't happen. I love "pest snails". Most people hate them because they "infest" and are "ugly" but I've always had them self regulate after the excessive food sources disappeared so I've welcomed them. GL!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.