The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some hair algae in my 10 gallon. I'm getting ready to start co2 on the tank within the next few weeks. It's mostly entwined in a stone is java moss. The tank is high light and I've been dosing excel and ferts. I've also noticed small amounts of stag horn and bba that come and go as well as diatoms on the glass. All these algaes are not much but the hair algae is getting pretty bad. Should I just toss the Java moss? It's about impossible to get the hair algae out of the moss. I do 50% WC daily. Use tap water with dechlorinator and have rcs and 8 cory habrosus. My hob filter isn't the best though and often I find it barely making flow throughout the tank. I'm thinking toys could be a cause.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
High light without injected CO2 is the problem here.
Those shrimp likely won't last very long with all those water changes.
Check in the invert section for frequency of water changes in shrimp tanks.
I believe you'll find the shrimp people use far less water changes than normal
planted tanks do. 50% per week is the high end of normal for planted tanks.
Cut your light by aprx 40% by placing one piece of fiberglass screen on top
of the tank(between the light and top) if you can't lower the light any other way.
After you get the injected this won't need to be used.
Placing the HOB on the end instead of the back will increase the flow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks. I am doing the bigger changes because the fertilizer makes my already high tds higher at the end of the week. I was doing 25%. Perhaps I need to use a mix of ro/di and tap to get a better tds. :)

Bump: Also, placing my hob at the end of the tank isn't an option because the light fixture in my tank is on the sides. I'm using the 24/7 p+ and there's no other way to fix it to the tank.

Omg the water change should say weekly. Not daily. Lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't know much about shrimp but a double dose of excel solved my algae problems. Not sure if that's possible with your shrimp though. Didn't seem to have any affect on my tetras and corys. I'd be scared to do it again though now that I have my discus

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually double dose excel often in this tank with no issues but I think since I've taken out a bunch of my fast growing plants that the algae had a chance to take hold. Hopefully once the co2 starts I can get things more balanced.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Once I started using the full line of the seachem ferts along with my co2 most all algae cleared up. I still am fighting some gsa. It's not a terrible problem just don't like the look of it on the anubias and swords. The gsa I now believe is due to low phosphate levels which I am trying to correct now

·
Registered
326 Posts
what other plants do you have in this 10 gallon tank? if youre just growing moss than it might be a overkill on the nutrients/light. I never owned a 24/7 finnex but i think you can change up the brightness of the lights? why not put it on low setting?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Reducing light intensity and total light period will make thing's easier and less issues with or without CO2 injection and or Excel.
Everybody who sticks with the planted aquarium hobby comes around to this truth sooner or later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.