The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i started this tank 1 week ago. and it's been doing really good in terms of plant thriving. however i am new. and i do own 2 chihiros sets vivid 2 lights. i had them 100%. i didn't know they have to be dialed down. so i turned the lights down, and i cut 1 hour of light. totaling 7 hours of light with co2. i tried to manually remove them from monte carlo its hard not gonna lie. they are everywhere. i did dose on them some algae treatment but yet i havent see any results as i dosed it yesterday. now the question is. would that hair algae disappear on its own or not? i have co2 running, im dosing liquid fertilizer but im in control of my doses so nothing crazy.
Plant Nature Wood Automotive tire Vegetation

Plant Plant community Nature Botany Organism

·
Registered
852 Posts
ngl, im surprised you got so much algae when you just set this tank up a week ago. Was this a brand new tank or rescape or something?

Will the algae disappear on its own? With so little plant mass, and such intense light, I would argue it will not. Thats just my initial thought.

However, will the algae go away on its own? Possibly, if plants catch up, and you find a good balance of light and co2 and fertilization.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It will go away as your filter gets colonized. I run really soft water, and I get that bad for the first 3 days. But it's true that you need to get your lighting under control. You can't run lights at full throttle for a barely planted tank. No more than 6 hours a day at brightest setting - but brightest setting should be a MEASURED setting to the bottom of the tank. You may have a disparity in lighting requirements, between your carpet, and mid/background plants. But that's a guess, because I'm not 100% certain what your plants are. If that's Monte Carlo in the substrate, you can turn way down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trap Door Snails will eat black beard algae. They are very slow to reproduce as another positive, but hard to find. 🐌 As you tighten water perimeters the stuff will go away or remove your (fish)and lower water and then spray with hydrogen peroxide it will die in a couple of days. UVC might be another solution. Install a plenum also called an anoxic filtration system. It was originally used as a pond filtration sys.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Co2 will help plants grow, but without heavy plant mass it will do little to control algae. It's not in any way an algaecide. So without alot of plant mass you need to rely even more on light control, heavy regular water changes and removing organics whenever possible. Unfortunately the way to start these tanks is with like 4-5 hrs light and gradually increase, but most are reactive instead of proactive. Also it looks like you have an active soil, so if you weren't doing daily water changes for the 1st week then that would make algae grow much worse since the soil is releasing ammonia which gets the algae cycle going.

·
Super Moderator
16,059 Posts
Trap Door Snails will eat black beard algae. They are very slow to reproduce as another positive, but hard to find. 🐌 As you tighten water perimeters the stuff will go away or remove your (fish)and lower water and then spray with hydrogen peroxide it will die in a couple of days. UVC might be another solution. Install a plenum also called an anoxic filtration system. It was originally used as a pond filtration sys.
Adding an animal to correct a problem that's easily managed by getting control of the tank is a disaster in the making. Especially when those animals do, in fact, reproduce and aren't legal to trade in many places.

Spraying with peroxide is not a good idea for a beginner.

Plenum filtration is, for the most part, pseudoscience being pushed by a crazy old man on YouTube. Please don't spread that nonsense here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts