The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would appreciate any feedback on what may be happening in my tank.

Low tech set-up. 29g.
20-30% weekly water change.
3 pumps Easy Green 2x/wk. NilocG root tabs.
Nicrew Classic Plus light.

80% of the plants are new as of 2 months ago. Just ran out of testing strips so have not tested parameters in a few weeks. However nitrates consistently were below 20ppm and ammonia 0 for the several weeks after adding the plants. I know I need to re-test.

Because many of the plants were new to this tank, as recommended on this forum I started with 4.5hrs of light @ 100% strength with goal of increasing 30mins every two weeks if there were no issues.

Everything was doing very well, other than a few white-tipped leaves on my pogostemons stellatus octopus. I read this could be due to iron deficiency, so I started dosing 3ml iron every other day. Since there was plant growth with all plants and I wasn't experiencing algae, I kept the lighting and fert schedule as outlined above.

Well, I decided to up the light to 5 and then 5.5hrs a few weeks ago. Two things have since happened:

• Green spot algae appearing on back wall. I'm guessing this is because the light is centered over the back half of the tank to accommodate the solid plastic strip on the tank lid.
  • Hair algae started popping up (see pics) on pogostemons, and now most plants.
  • The white tips on pogostemons stellatus octopus have remained.

Again, I know I need to get to retest for ammonia and nitrates. However based on what I've describe and the pics attached, where would you suggest I start in finding a resolution to this? What is hair algae typically caused by- is it too much light or some sort of deficiency?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I turned the lights out for a day, did a couple 30-50% water changes, and the hair algae is completely gone. I read that excess iron can contribute to hair algae growth, so am guessing that was the issue.

Regarding the white pogostemons tips--- any thoughts on this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts