The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have multiple problems as of now during my cycling process. Because recently my pearlweed has been melting, and my nitrifying bacteria is starting to take off, the ammonia already in my tank and the added dead matter has skyrocketed my nitrates to ~80 ppm.
I've done more frequent water changes to bring it back down to around 20-30, but that still leaves me with the algae that has grown, what I think is a form of hair algae, as well as the normal diatoms.

As I balance my tank out I'm wondering on how I can treat the hair algae specifically, because it is taking off and I'm afraid taking it off will be a pain, as many of my plants are quite small, and wiping diatoms off of my pearlweed is not feasible. I'm usually fine with algae, but when it covers plants, I usually remove it but I cannot, and need help on how to remove it without uprooting all my plants in the process.

As my tank is not cycled, livestock to help are out of the question, but I'm open to any other methods, specifically excel, but wondering if it is likely melt my crypt even with spot treatment, but the information I have on how or even how effective spot treating is with a syringe and excel is spotty. Below are pics of my situation, not too bad, but plan to not let it get out of control while I'm figuring out my balance, thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You will need to gently physically remove the hair Algae.(I recommend a tooth brush just stick it in the Algae and rotate it you can also cut the strans with scissors) Hair Algae is common during cycle I've never experienced it but many others have. Whenever you see algea no matter the kind you should be trying to remove physically asap. All decaying Plant matter during cycle should be removed. Are you dosing any type of furts if so which ones and how much. Are you using any bacteria for the cycle ie, Searchem stability? Also what's the temperature of the aquarium and the light you are using along with the size of aquarium and the lighting period?

Algae free conditions
High light
Co2
Live stock. Shrimp, snails ect
Quick start bacteria
Temperature 22-23°C
Lighting period no longer than 10hs
(No light after this time at all)
Frequent 25%-50% water changes
No over feeding live stock
High water flow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need to gently physically remove the hair Algae.(I recommend a tooth brush just stick it in the Algae and rotate it you can also cut the strans with scissors) Hair Algae is common during cycle I've never experienced it but many others have. Whenever you see algea no matter the kind you should be trying to remove physically asap. All decaying Plant matter during cycle should be removed. Are you dosing any type of furts if so which ones and how much. Are you using any bacteria for the cycle ie, Searchem stability? Also what's the temperature of the aquarium and the light you are using along with the size of aquarium and the lighting period?
The tooth brush method is helpful, and will definitely try it out, thanks.
Not dosing any ferts, as to not mess with my nitrate readings during the cycling process, but do have root tabs in my substrate, because it's inert. I did use Fritz zyme 7 for a bacterial supplement the first few weeks of my cycle, and used it up a week ago or so. I remove most of the dead matter I can, but the pearlweed can be dense in areas and make it inaccessible to remove some of the matter, so I planned on keeping up on water changes around 2x a week or 3x

Other info: 10 gallon heavily planted tank
Lighting is a Nicrew LED classic, and is set to around 50% intensity for 8 hours a day
Temp is 76 deg. F
Using a small canister filter without problems on the tank, and have moderate flow to deter algae growth when I can for now

·
Registered
74 Posts
My advice remove as much as you can and do a water change right after you do. I would stay away from any chemicals for reducing algea for now and try a lower temperature as Algae loves a higher temperature almost all plants can survive 20°C I recommend 22°C even 2° over that temperature produces Algae in my experiences. If this does not fix the issue try reducing lighting period but I think 8 hours is perfect. My guess is the Fritz zyme 7 incuraged the Algae. I use an electric tooth brush to remove any Algae on glass, Rocks, wood ect. Amazon has them for $12 (oral b)

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
Very heavy Excel dosing worked well for me when I initially setup my 180g tank: My experience with overdosing Metricide 28 (Fluorish...
That, and snails seem to control it pretty well.

I still get a bit of green dust algae on the glass which I use a rubber squeegee to remove quickly but that is due to WAY too long of light periods with intense lighting.
I second Excel if it gets out of hand. Remove what you can, whenever you see it, do near daily water changes while you're working on it, and don't be afraid to trim plants where the hair algae is stubborn. The plant will grow back and do better after a trim compared to struggling with algae on it. If you go the excel route you can double dose (look this up before you do it since it is very strong and not right for everyone), and then taper down after a couple days to just the standard dose and in about two weeks there's a good chance it'll be completely gone. During that time you should still be removing it, though you should notice it isn't growing as fast, and it's slightly easier to separate from the plants. Once it's gone you don't have to keep dosing excel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.