The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I needed more water. :hihi:
4 - 10's on top, 3 - 20's on the self and a sump on the floor.
57" total frame height. The first shelf 23" off the ground to clear a dog door (and the leg notched to clear the frame).
Then 3-20g Talls, 10" of clearance for lighting and to access the tanks and then 4-10g tanks on top.
I needed it to fit (squeezed) in a given space so 57x45".

The shelf on top is wider and narrower in depth for the 10g tanks.
The 20's are deeper with less width being placed side out.
10g shelf framed out at 45 x 21 1/2"
20g shelf frames at 39 x 25" (room for plumbing)
Tank support is front and back only using standard plastic framed glass tanks ($1/g sale :tongue:)

Sorry no build print just a material list; 7 *straight* 8' 2x4's and a box of wood screws. The rest was plumbing.
Estimated the take off list at 8 2x4's and used 7.
Built in a day with screws and stain only. Without glued joints the tanks are filled and the rack is very stable.
Using 3" decking screws it's not going anywhere.

Plumbing.
Daisy chain siphon assembly like I use in the office and sponge panels will be added in the sump.
Access to the overflow is easy though a window LMAO!

I did have a little help LOL

Painful project but almost complete

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
babies and baby makers :smile:

20T is the minimum size tank for the average size Angel breeding pair.
Also thinking I may need to split up the male LFABN Ancistrus.
One more big fight in the 110g and junior is going to be moving.

The solution to pollution is dilution and with the tanks chained together the 20's are 80g equivalent and the 10's 40 gallon on the water column. Separate tanks allow fish of different sizes without predation but retain the water volume for filtering effect. The sump will have a huge moss ball in the middle.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
That's amazing! It's so nice to see kids getting involved. My dad cleverly lured me into his fish hobby - now I'm a carbon copy of him! lol I wouldn't want it any other way...
With all that natural light will algae be a issue, or is that over rated? You're making everyone want to set up fish rooms - lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wish my local fish store was this well thought out. Also wish my local fish store knew 1% of what this guy knows about breeding and keeping fish.
Most of my local fish stores sell crap and they keep doing it over years because of the mentality here 'Buy Cheap, buy twice' LoL!

I want only ADA equipments.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Looks like a promising fish farm to come. I'm interested in a more in depth explanation of how your tank linking works. I see some PVC pipes going from tank to tank to tank, but will this also enable the water levels to stay constant between all tanks?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Just my 2 cents... Looks great, but if it were in my house, I would put vertical supports in between the shelves, so that the load is transferred directly from wood to wood and not from wood to bolt/screw to wood.

I'd also tie the legs together. At least front to back. If not square.

You could easily add in vertical supports now, before it is too late. Just fill the gaps so that there something holding up the shelves other than screws/bolts.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I think the window access is ingenious! I laughed a bit to myself thinking "wait till winter! har har har..." then I realized you're in Florida...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice easy way to have everything going at once!

I am hoping to eventually open up a LFS (after college) get people more interested in fish then the bettas they get at Walmart, or the guy with 75% salt water 2 towns away.
That's really cool dude!
Wish you all the best to open up a LFS :)

Reef tanks are very popular in US despite of their cost.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like a promising fish farm to come. I'm interested in a more in depth explanation of how your tank linking works. I see some PVC pipes going from tank to tank to tank, but will this also enable the water levels to stay constant between all tanks?
The water level stays even in each tank with adequate flow provided via the U tubes. On prior versions of this plumbing method I used 1" pipe between each tank. 55, 20T, 10g currently linked and a pair of 10g fry tanks. Critters stay separated by use of filter foam on the suction side of the piping. Marineland Reverse Flow sponges work very well but allow small fish like early free swimming angels to be drawn through. Eheim prefilter cartridges for 2227/2327 or 2229/2329 are fine pore blocking smaller fry but also you need to watch for blockage with mum build up occurring faster. Also I was limited on the return flow rate with only one pipe. Using two U tubes I don't know what the flow limit will be. Flow based on pump size currently is 150gph with no lag on the levels.
Just my 2 cents... Looks great, but if it were in my house, I would put vertical supports in between the shelves, so that the load is transferred directly from wood to wood and not from wood to bolt/screw to wood.

I'd also tie the legs together. At least front to back. If not square.

You could easily add in vertical supports now, before it is too late. Just fill the gaps so that there something holding up the shelves other than screws/bolts.
Troubled by this post being made and knowing I shouldn't be and not surprised at the need for someone to do it.
The upper shelf is notched into a rabbit fit so directly transmitting from wood to wood the load goes straight down to the verticals.
Maximum shelf span between supports is 39" and carrying 675lbs. on the lower shelf so roughly 170lbs per leg, exactly where do you think it will go?
The 20's at mid level (170lb per leg) are supported by #8 3" Phillips II high performance (high grade steel) fasteners with 4 used at each corner and cross tied, nothing is going to move.
Corners are all right angles, framed level and plumb.

4 #8 high carbon steel fasteners under static load, in shear,,,,
Google that before warning something needs to be done to add vertical supports now, before it is too late. No thanks, this isn't the worry I have.

hahaha the legs are only 23" long and made out of 2x4"s in a fixed, level load pattern on a concrete slab and against a wall. The total load transmission is about 1120lbs.
My free standing kitchen table has legs on it 28 1/2" long fixed at about a 7° angle and fastened into only 3x3/4" wood with a single 3/8 lag bolt and wing nut each. What my wife and I have done on that table should carry it's own ANSI rating. LMAO
I think the window access is ingenious! I laughed a bit to myself thinking "wait till winter! har har har..." then I realized you're in Florida...
haha yup all of 3 weeks to a month of winter each year.
Those windows are "thermopane" or double-paned vinyl frame units anyway. They have a higher R value than the block the house is made of LOL.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
4 more dirt tanks

Feeling better even though my left arm is still useless. (stopped taking drugs last night)
Wandering around in my elastic waistbands and Velcro shoes being bored out of my mind after only two weeks (OMG!!!).
I found myself in the shop looking at my failed mineralized soil pile on the shower curtain.
Mentioned this six months of ant fighting in two other threads, anyway it had soaked for six months in a shallow frame.

Before my surgery it was moved into the shop and left on the floor.
Sitting there for a month it's dry more or less. Mud pie pic from the past.

For some weird reason some of the membership think I know 1 or 2 things about setting up NPT's.
Well,,,
I've poo poo'ed on anyone's thread for screening the dirt as a waste of time and material setting up a tank. (I kno, I kno, how completely rude!)
Well today I decided what I wanted to do with the 10g tanks and I screened the dirt with one hand for 1/2 my day.
Never say never and never say always LOL Worked it through fiberglass window screening material.

I ended up with about a 3.5g volume in both buckets but I do have a reason for this that I hope will be clear with time.

Capping material? :smile:

100lb bags are stupid cheap.

I'm wanting a fine grained dirt and cap because I plan on doing something else I've told people not to do,,,
what I said to never do with a dirt tank.
I intend on pulling rooted plants every time the tanks are full.
These are going to be grow tanks. 6dGH, 2dKH and water column dosing too.
Had success growing some nice Blyxa without CO2 and want to do crypt tanks too.

Calling out to all my Fraternity brother and sisters and members of TPT in general.
I'm thinking only 1 or maybe 2 types of plant in each tank and looking for donors AND suggestions.
The condition of my elbows and treatments are going to have me here to see the grass grow the rest of the year with my income in a steady state of flat line.
Not whining broke and can handle shipping costs without issue but looking for ideas on what and starter groups for the tanks.

1 to 1.5" of screened dirt and capped with about the same depth black sand.

Lighting is currently 80wT12 GE Plant & aquarium @ 10.5" adjustable up to whatever is needed.
Also have a pair of 2x32T8 fixtures if I need to up or spread the lighting.

Water movement is provided by the same simple system I used on the pleco pans with a 5w power head tubed to a spraybar.
From tank #1 returned into tank #4 with crossover siphons linking the tanks.
Flow is moving dust particles in all the tanks nicely right now.

anybody have any plants or ideas for the mini farm?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.