The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this system b4? [HAGEN] Nutrafin C02 System

I just bought one, my DIY 2-liter bottle has always been so inconsistent, so I thought this might be just a little bit better (just postponing the inevitable - Pressurized Co2) I followed the directions to a T and after 24 hours I do not c anything happening. What I mean is that a couple hours after I made my Yeast and Sugar mixture I seen Co2 being injected into my tank. I C Nothing with this system.

Old Co2 System:
Rio90 w/ Siphon Diffuser
1 2-Liter Bottle and a Check valve

New System Nutrafin C02 System:

:help: and for the bonus ?? of the day, What causes these hole in the leaves in my plants?

Thank for any help you can give me.

D.Giotto

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check to make sure your activator packets (yeast) have not expired. You are better off making your own mix IMO. I used one of these on a 2.5g system and it worked well your tank looks much bigger from the pic so that system might not be enough, plus it holds less than your 2L DIY.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check to make sure your activator packets (yeast) have not expired. You are better off making your own mix IMO. I used one of these on a 2.5g system and it worked well your tank looks much bigger from the pic so that system might not be enough, plus it holds less than your 2L DIY.

It's a 20 Gallon. I understand it holds less, but they say it's good for 1 month? Is that just advertising BS? What does the Stabilizer do?

My 2L only lasted about 1 maybe 1½ weeks, is that not the norm? If I use my own mix and a stabilizer will it last longer?

Sorry for all the ??'s, I'm just a little confused.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

D.Giotto

BTW, Date on the pkg "DEL 03 2006", box says best used within 18 months of date. Think that might be to long??

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
What var er fish do you have in there besides the tetras and the rams?

My angels like hygrophilla salad. That's kinda what yours looks like at the moment.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What var er fish do you have in there besides the tetras and the rams?

My angels like hygrophilla salad. That's kinda what yours looks like at the moment.
Tank Inhabitants:
3 Rams
10 tetras
10-15 Ghost Shrimp
2 Gold Mystery Snails
1 Blk Mystery Snails
1 Ivory Mystery Snails
1 Blue Mystery Snails
2 otos
1 Sm.Amazon Frog

I thought I read somewhere that that was a Potassium Deficiency, but I couldn't remember and wanted some confirmation. I looked at the LFS for some kind of potassium I could add to the water, but couldn't find anything. How would I increase the potassium in the tank or fix this problem?

·
Registered
974 Posts
The Hagen system is a bit weird, I got one a few days ago. The bubbles weren't coming out after two days, so I put another 1/5 cup of sugar into the canister and added another pack of Activator/Stabilizer. Bubbles are coming out nicely, but yea... you'll need more packets.

·
Registered
974 Posts
It's a 20 Gallon. I understand it holds less, but they say it's good for 1 month? Is that just advertising BS? What does the Stabilizer do?

My 2L only lasted about 1 maybe 1½ weeks, is that not the norm? If I use my own mix and a stabilizer will it last longer?

Sorry for all the ??'s, I'm just a little confused.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

D.Giotto

BTW, Date on the pkg "DEL 03 2006", box says best used within 18 months of date. Think that might be to long??
Forget the DEL. The first two digits are the month, last four are the year. Mine said 10 2005 and it works, ... just double up on packets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forget the DEL. The first two digits are the month, last four are the year. Mine said 10 2005 and it works, ... just double up on packets.
I'll give it a shot. I've got about 5 bubbles on the ladder. Just doesn't seem right. If that doesn't work I'm going to use my own mix.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
to be honest, I just got one a few weeks ago and ran into the same problem...

don't tell anyone but i shook the hell out of the thing in frustration and was about to give it a first class flight accross my front yard when all of a sudden it started bubbling. Give it a shake....see what happens.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone tell me, or show me, what a correct functioning ladder would look like. For instance, should all the shelves be full, small bubbles, big bubbles, steady stream, etc.............

I would just like to know what I should be expecting from this unit.

Thanks,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, This is what I have going on. There are now air pockets (Lg.Bubbles) on the ladder

I'm assuming that this is the way it should look.

And how can I increase the potassium level in my tank to stop the holes in my plants?

Thanks Everyone

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
OK, This is what I have going on. There are now air pockets (Lg.Bubbles) on the ladder

I'm assuming that this is the way it should look.
Are the air pockets held up with leaves? They should continuously 'roll' up the ladder and you should move any plants or obstacles out of the way.

And how can I increase the potassium level in my tank to stop the holes in my plants?
You can get Seachem's Flourish Potassium or Greg Watson's K2SO4 to help with the pinholes which are usually causes by a potassium (K) deficiency. There are other products on the market that will also help. Greg Watson's K2SO4 is a cheaper solution and it's the same compound found in Seachem's F. Potassium. Seachem's F. Potassium is a much more diluted form of it.

Here's a few different yeasts that are more alcohol tolerant:
Rex Grigg sells Premier Cuvée and it's available on line as well: http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/wineyeast/p_cuvee.html
Alcotec's 48-Hour Turbo Yeast is a good one too plus it comes with it's own nutrients: http://www.beer-wine.com/category_page.asp?categoryID=90&sectionID=2

·
Registered
974 Posts
If it looks like that, that is probably air that has been trapped when you put it in. The bubbles should rise up steadily and they should get smaller as they come closer to the top of the tank. I will get a picture soon.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.