The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just at my LFS today and I saw this new cube in the betta section. It holds 1/2g of water, and have 4 different designs. It still has a hole over it.. but I might get one and play around with it. Here are some pictures that I got off the net. Its not acrylic - I don't think - it just says plastic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just picked one up today. It's a pretty neat kit... Comes with gravel, 3 rocks, betta food and some kind of conditioner. The silly printed background is removable... You could turn it over for a white back or paint or use sign vinyl in any color you want. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to add filtration however, as the cover has a 1" lip all around. I think I'm going to make a nice wooden canopy and stand... Maybe stick a sump in the bottom. Dunno yet. Not bad for $10.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$10?? My LFS sold it for $14.. rip offs.. =(

Macnut, if you do make a stand/canopy/sump, please tell me how it goes. I dunno about filtration/ lightning either. Maybe undergravel or sponge filter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For those local to LA, I got it at Allan's Aquarium on Lincoln in Venice. Sale priced at $9.99. They had all 4 versions. IMO, These are not for livestock... way too small even for a betta (at least a healthy betta). The display unit they had had a dead betta in it. it was quite sad.

OhNo123: If i do make the stand/canopy/sump, I'll document with pics. I have an idea about how to do the sump filter :icon_bigg

I already have the lighting for the canopy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been having some fun with this thing!

Gravel and background are temporary and plastic plants for placement visualization only. Lights will mount in canopy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The LED lights are from Ikea, Model Name: "Lack", $25. I also have a cooler version that I'm going to modify so no canopy necessary to mount.

I'll try to take more pics when I empty the tank. You can see the blue gravel filled "box" in the first pic ohno123 posted. Its a plastic lip that extends about 1/2" above and drops 1/2" below the tank bottom-which also holds the tank to the stand. Seems kind of silly but looks kind of cool in that pic. I'll probably end up dremeling the extended lip off though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
don't mean to threadjack, but would these be ok if installed inside acanopy over a 12g for supllemental lighting?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10128381

keep up updated on the nano!
I would never use halogens in a canopy for a nano tank... They get way too hot. Look for LED solutions for supplemental canopy lighting or use the desk lamp halogens that can be arranged high above the tank w/no canopy.

In fact I had those lights you linked and the plastic housing melted from the heat... swedish engineering at it's finest :icon_lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts
thanks for the heads up. i'll stick low tech.

i might have to pick up one of htese nano tanks. - or a 10 gallon from petland which is ten bucks also.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts