The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a yeast based CO2 with a 2 litre pop bottle using the Hagen Ladder diffuser and I'm really pleased with the way the ladder works. I was planning to get another one so I can add a second bottle but wondered if it would work if I simply connected two 2 Litre bottles to one ladder using a T splitter? I'm using a check valve, so would add another for the second bottle and join them above so neither bottle could siphon back.

Is anyone doing this or has tried it?

Thanks in advance, Andy

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
Hi Andy, welcome to the Planted Tank. The setup you describe is very common for DIY CO2, it allows to refresh the bottles in an alternating way, while one is at full production, the next one is ramping up or peters out, which reduces the fluctuations that you have with a single bottle.

In short - go for it! Works very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, just saved me shelling out for another ladder :smile: I'll get to work on another pop bottle, will two 2 litre bottles be enough for a 40 gallon tank, I have 4 x 30W T8 tubes?

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
Depends on many things, hard to say remotely. You need to measure kH and pH and figure out how much CO2 you end up getting into the water.

I had a 3l bottle on a 10 gal tank... go figure. But my kH is high, and the HOB filter wouldn't allow high CO2 levels.

Thing with the ladders is that the dissolved CO2 needs to be distributed through the tank. A 40gal tank is kinda borderline for the ladder, you might need to look in a better diffusing method. But it all depends.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.