The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my Hagen glo fixture. With no bulbs! If I knew it didn't come with bulbs I would've went another route when purchasing te fixture. Anyways I am broke and a student and could barely afford a fixture and now I need to buy a relatively inexpensive bulb.

Also I will be keeping my green terror By himself with algae eaters and maintenance crew. Anyways my question comes down to I will prob keep only one bulb as I'm broke and I only plan on growing one plant in there as of now. Dwarf sag. And think I can grow it with one bulb. And that the lack of intense light will aid me in preventing algae spreading.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
You could use one actinic to reduce the usable light. That would also make your green terror look good. Some people don't like the looks of the blue but it really softens the look for me with my tank in the living room.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so i figured that i don't want to start plants necessarily now so if i go to a hardware store what style of bulb could aid in preventing an algae bloom as i wont have a pleco of size for the inhabitants of the tank. yet he is growing LOL. i hope this makes sense. im watching the charlie sheen roast LMAO

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could use one actinic to reduce the usable light. That would also make your green terror look good. Some people don't like the looks of the blue but it really softens the look for me with my tank in the living room.
So one 6500 and one actnic is that correct? Would this help with algae production? To keep it as minimal as possible is this what u are referring to with usable light

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Since it seems you can't run just one bulb with that fixture running one actinic might reduce total light so you don't have so many problems with algae. I'm using one to slow down the growth. I'm not into weekly trimming.

Not everyone cares for the color though. With 20+ years of SW I'm use to the blueish look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.