The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello PT!

I'm having an issue with a Hagen Glo fixture that I would like some input on. In short, my lights begin to flicker when they've been on for a bit. They're only out for a blink of an eye, but they are persistent (several per minute). I've had this fixture for about a month, and it's only been in operation for about a week. It has new zoomed bulbs in it.

From what I've seen from research, flickering is usually a ballast problem. I do not believe this is the case. For starters, the fixture is brand new. Secondly, if you mess with the bulbs (apply upward pressure, etc), the bulbs stop flickering, and remain like that after releasing the bulbs for a few minutes, then begin again. It sounds like a loose connection, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

My question for the PT collective: with the symptoms I've described, where would you recommend that I begin looking for a loose connection? I am understandably hesitant to start poking around the electrics of a $100+ fixture, so I wanted to get some guidance before I popped it open. Barring that, what other issues could be the problem? Would a ballast problem also be temporarily cured by lifting the bulbs as described?

·
Banned
866 Posts
Hello PT!

I'm having an issue with a Hagen Glo fixture that I would like some input on. In short, my lights begin to flicker when they've been on for a bit. They're only out for a blink of an eye, but they are persistent (several per minute). I've had this fixture for about a month, and it's only been in operation for about a week. It has new zoomed bulbs in it.

From what I've seen from research, flickering is usually a ballast problem. I do not believe this is the case. For starters, the fixture is brand new. Secondly, if you mess with the bulbs (apply upward pressure, etc), the bulbs stop flickering, and remain like that after releasing the bulbs for a few minutes, then begin again. It sounds like a loose connection, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

My question for the PT collective: with the symptoms I've described, where would you recommend that I begin looking for a loose connection? I am understandably hesitant to start poking around the electrics of a $100+ fixture, so I wanted to get some guidance before I popped it open. Barring that, what other issues could be the problem? Would a ballast problem also be temporarily cured by lifting the bulbs as described?
It's probably a screw up in fixture... I bought one and within two weeks it did the same exact thing and then completely stopped working. Brought it back and the retailer said it was water damage, from me?? My dad is a contractor and we both know quite a bit about electrical.. Checked everything ahead of time and it was the ballast that went out. I don't think the fixtures are made too good, just return it as they have a 1 year manufacturer warrantee.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.