The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the hagen elite mini filter for a co2 diffuser/reactor. I was just wondering if it is fry and baby shrimp safe. Has anyone made a DIY modification that will make it more fry and baby shrimp safe?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Any of the intake grates are going to let fry and baby shrimp into the filter, probably to get lost or never seen again. A newborn baby shrimp is like as big as a comma , if it can fit in anywhere, it will. lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Black panty hose, but because its fine, it's going to collect mulm and debris on it near the grates, so you'll have to take it out probably once a week to clean it so it doesn't get too plugged and stop flow.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Fine mesh media bags work well and don't get plugged up for me. Panty hose were terrible for me. They plugged up constantly.

·
Registered
404 Posts
How did this work out for you? I'm doing the identical thing except I keep the black sponge like pad in the filter where it belongs.

Anyone else have luck with this?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I just picked this up to for a MICRO tank I'm doing as a present.

I'm not looking to breed shrimp in it, just keep the ones in it safe.

Is it a safe filter for adult shrimp?
It's safe for adults... Babies are goners if they go near it though. I recommend some fine ss mesh fastened onto it with black twine or rubber bands for a more refined look. You could even super glue the mesh over the intake slots I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
It's safe for adults... Babies are goners if they go near it though. I recommend some fine ss mesh fastened onto it with black twine or rubber bands for a more refined look. You could even super glue the mesh over the intake slots I suppose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
A little filter floss in the mechanism made it safe for babies 100%

1 - 10 of 10 Posts