The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my stem plants appear to be melting. Could this be a product of the temp raise? Im having trouble finding info. Its the only thing I have changed since the ick. went from 79 to 84. I have German Blue Rams.
Java fern appears ok, as well as anubis and my moss. but my ludwigia and rotala does not look good.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
That was my experience as well. Tried doing the salt+heat combo (had it around 84*F) and most plants were melting except the hardy plants such as Java Fern and Anubias.

Also tried the heat only method (supposed to be 86*F or higher) thinking it was just the salt that might have melted the plants previously. For both cases I gradually raised temps by 1-2*F every 24 hours, and was just at the 84*F mark when plants were starting to melt (except Anubias and Java Fern again) and fish were getting very uncomfortable (I did have plenty of surface agitation and circulation).

I'm curious to hear your observation on how the fish are tolerating the increased temps. Though I would assume the fish species that naturally are comfortable in warmer water such as German Blue Rams might not stress much from elevated temps.

Some people report melting plants such as our cases, while some don't seem to have melting going on.

As temps go up, co2 solubility in water goes down. Water has less ability to hold dissolved Carbon Dioxide in as water temperature goes up, just as it does with dissolved Oxygen at warmer temps. Though in my case, my tanks were not injecting co2. Don't know if you are or not. But even if you are, I personally don't think the lowered co2 concentration would melt the plants, except maybe more sensitive-to-change plants such as Cryptocorynes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fish seem fine, Ick appears to be going away. I have the rams, rummynose tetra, and some ottos. 3 power heads and medium surface agitation.

to add, my stem plants are still growing, but the bottom of the stems closest to the soil are melting. So is it safe to assume they will adjust to the temp and survive, or will it just be a cycle of them growing and the bottom half melting?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.