The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had severe green water in my 120 gallon tank(no CO2, 220 watts for 6 hours, 110 watts for 1 hour before and after the 6) with moderate plants and a lot of driftwood.

After setting up the tank it developed really bad green water afte 3 weeks. I could barely see through. I purchased a UV sterilizer and the water was crystal clean after a few days. I recently went on vacation and had my roommate looking after the tank. It is now completely infested with hair algae. I was using excel once a day but have since stopped fearing it may be givng the algae nutrients. i have thrown in two alBgone packets (worked great in my non planted tanks) but i'm assuming this isnt good for the plants since itll suck up nutrients they need.

what can I do to get rid of the hair algae? I have 5 fancy guppies and one red sword tail. will they chow on it if i stop feeding them for a while?

I have about 13 otos in there as well, although they dont eat any of the hair algae.

so whats the next step in getting rid of this algae?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you can pick up some Ghost shrimp or other shrimp to chomp down on the algae. Ghost shrimp make quick work of it. I say 10-12 of them would work. Other than that I would keep up with wc's and clean off what you can!
I have 3 clown loaches and 2 yoyo loaches, I'm afraid they'll make quick work of the shrimp

·
Registered
122 Posts
adding Ghost shrimp in with the loaches isn't a smart move for the fact that the loaches will have picking off each shrimp one by one. Now you say the tank is infested, what do you mean by that? If the algea is all over the leaves the plants one method that should do the trick is the bleach method. Get a bucket of moderately cold water, and less than a quarter of a cup of bleach. Now what your trying to get is 19 parts water and 1 part bleach. Now what you wanna do is takes the plants, and dipping the leaves in the bleach solution making sure none of the roots of plants touch the solution. Mix each plant around for almost a 1min, if you have crypts stir them for a shorter time. After you've done that wash them off thoroughly with clean water. After that replant them, and you also might want to do a water change afterwards to make sure none of the solution made it into the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts